MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Wrong label & tooltip for "New Posts" icon beneath "Subscribed Threads" list
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone!

I'm new to MyBB and this is my first post here, so: nice to meet you all.

I ran across this little glitch while working on a localization of MyBB 1.8.5. I ran a quick search of this forum and didn't find anything that seemed to match it, so I figured I'd better write it up. It's small, and probably easy to fix. 

To find the glitch, please navigate to User CP -> Subscribed Threads and look at the icons displayed below the list. The topmost icon on the left reads "New Thread" where it should read "New Posts". (Compare the icons under the thread listing in any forum to see the difference.)

Basically, the label for the icon mentioned in the title seems to be using this string:
  • /inc/languages/english/usercp.lang.php => new_thread
... when it should be using this string:
  • /inc/languages/english/usercp.lang.php => new_posts_thread
The "new_thread" string is not a label, but text for a link that appears beneath each thread in the "Forum Subscriptions" list.

Which means I ended up with a translated icon label inviting me to create a new thread.  Toungue

(EDIT: I originally included references to the "icon_*" strings, but I've since discovered that they're used in the tooltips for the icons in the actual thread list. I still find it puzzling that the tooltips for the icons in the legend simply repeat the labels; perhaps they should be removed?)

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Dominion

The fix is a change to template "usercp_subscriptions" line 34:

Before:

<dd><span class="thread_status newfolder" title="{$lang->new_thread}">&nbsp;</span> {$lang->new_thread}</dd>

After:

<dd><span class="thread_status newfolder" title="{$lang->new_posts_thread}">&nbsp;</span> {$lang->new_posts_thread}
Hi,

Thank you for your report. We have pushed this issue to our Github repository for further analysis where you can track our commits and progress with fixing this bug. Discussions regarding this bug may also take place there too.

Follow this link to visit the issue on Github: https://github.com/mybb/mybb/issues/2081

Thanks for contributing to MyBB!

Regards,
The MyBB Group