MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Two things need help/advice on
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We continue to get smashed with spam registrations. We have several anti spam options activated, but still even with that we obtained 227 bogus registrations just in the past week. Anything new that is blocking them out?

Second thing - we would like to add a member level of support for our forum. Something like a site support Bronze, Silver Gold, Platinum

Each corresponding donation to the forum would get them a badge on the forum to display to others.

I can only assume this is something that has been done long before us.

TIA, Mike
which version of MyBB you are using and which anti-spam methods you have implemented

for the subscription memberships you have to find a suitable plugin or do it manually.
I have V 1.6.16

Could you post a link for the plugins you would recommend?

Thanks, Mike
have you seen spam prevention plugins
basically a signup security questions plugin with questions related to the focus of your forum
and a plugin to put posts by new members in moderation queue (eg. required approvals plugin)

this community forum has many discussions about combating spam - please see search results
Believe me, I already did all of that. I know better than to spam the boards with redundant questions and did a search. But almost everything you posted has been tried and the same issues remain with spammers.

IRT the level of supporter again it is a question regarding a plugin and which one is really reputable.
(2015-06-16, 08:10 PM)Blitzburgh Wrote: [ -> ]Believe me, I already did all of that. I know better than to spam the boards with redundant questions and did a search. But almost everything you posted has been tried and the same issues remain with spammers.

IRT the level of supporter again it is a question regarding a plugin and which one is really reputable.

I am running into the same problem.

The anti-spam stuff can only do so much.
But make sure to sign on to Akismet and Stopforumspam.
Also check out Project Honeypot and google for the MyBB addon for that.

My main solutions are:
Make sure that Users *awaiting registration* are BANNED.

Install the No Links Allowed plugin.
Disable links for Guests, Awaiting Registration, and Banned groups.
Make sure that the threshold is set HIGH or it will allow guests in after a few posts to the account.
Make sure that the numbers for all forums are entered - anyones missed will result in a spam barrage there.

Stopping links *seems* to be the key to stopping spam.
The addon seems to block the post as well as the links.

Captchas seem useless against the Xrumer scumware.

However, update to the 1.6.17 version, and recheck user permissions - as it *seems* to help against SQL attacks.

Though I cant figure out how a few 'awaiting registrations' still get through - when they should be banned.