MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Swapping files around
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, third thread. Really sorry about all of these. Hopefully this will be the last.

Bit of background info: About a week ago, I tried updating from 1.6 to 1.8 and...well, to put it bluntly, a whole heap of stuff broke. After patching up a few of the broken features, I decided it would be easier to just start all over with a new copy of 1.8. What I've done is I've installed 1.8 locally, with a test database and some random threads, posts, forums, etc, and I worked on recreating the theme and layout of my forum as I had it before this whole issue.

Now for the part I'm unsure of: The purpose of doing all this is to basically reinstall 1.8 on my server. The core files need to be replaced with the ones I have locally, as I am unsure how many files were messed up in that upgrade process. I need the theme and templates I worked on locally to be on the server. I also need to keep all user, post and settings data from the server intact.

I assume this won't be as simple as deleting all server files, then copying my local files over, right? Nothing is ever that simple. What would I need to do here?
First questions is:

Did you make a full backup of your 1.6 installation (database and core files)?

If not, this is really a false start!!

Second question is:

You use a custom theme in your 1.6 installation. Is this theme already available for 1.8? Or do you have information that it also works in 1.8?

Third question is:

Did you make your own changes in templates and/or core files in your 1.6 installation? If so, document these so that you can make the same changes in the 1.8 installation.

Generally, you should be able to follow the general guidelinesĀ  for a full update.
1: Yes, though when I saw what happened after the upgrade, I immediately started recoding whatever I could to get at least some of the features back to normal. I don't know how things will be affected if I were to revert back to my backup (which I do have).

2: The theme was designed for 1.6, which was likely the cause of some of the issues. However, I have a new theme already made, based on another 1.8 theme that I altered for colour and other visual aspects. I can completely forget about whatever old themes I had.

3: Yes. Mostly minor layout changes, so I never bothered recording them. I know where to find them, and what to do to alter them, so there was never any need.

The full upgrade is the exact same thing as putting a fresh copy of the latest version onto the server, right? Meaning I would be able to either delete all existing server files and simply upload the new version?

By the way, slightly off topic, but how come the CHMOD instructions for installation don't work? I've followed the instructions to the letter, but I can't get the forum to install. I end up doing CHMOD -R 777 *, which I'm very well aware is not a good idea. I just don't know what specific file(s) or folder(s) are stopping me from starting the installation.
(2015-06-21, 05:00 PM)hiigaran Wrote: [ -> ]The full upgrade is the exact same thing as putting a fresh copy of the latest version onto the server, right? Meaning I would be able to either delete all existing server files and simply upload the new version?

You can also set your ftp program so that files with identical names are overwritten. Then you can simply select all files and folders in the upload folder and drag them to the root of your forum. All duplicate files are overwritten (also in folders), others will remain to exist.

(2015-06-21, 05:00 PM)hiigaran Wrote: [ -> ]By the way, slightly off topic, but how come the CHMOD instructions for installation don't work? I've followed the instructions to the letter, but I can't get the forum to install. I end up doing CHMOD -R 777 *, which I'm very well aware is not a good idea. I just don't know what specific file(s) or folder(s) are stopping me from starting the installation.

Strange, I followed the instructions:

chmod 666 inc/config.php inc/settings.php
chmod 777 cache/ cache/themes/ uploads/ uploads/avatars/

and optionally

chmod 666 inc/languages/english/*.php inc/languages/english/admin/*.php
chmod 777 admin/backups/

and it works perfectly.
Hmm. I wonder if it is my computer. It's been a while, but I don't recall the server having any issues. My local computer on the other hand? Need to go 777 on all, and it's a fresh LAMP installation.

Okay, the file transfer went successfully. Everything is running smoothly once again.

There is just one thing I still haven't been able to figure out, and what is why I can't get certain changes to appear immediately after saving them. If I make any CSS changes, or overwrite an image on the server, no change is made for several hours.

At first, I thought it was a caching issue, so I disabled CloudFlare, enabled the sending of no cache headers in the forum config, and of course, using ctrl F5, but nothing seems to work. I'm going to guess it's a server side issue, and not a forum one, since the same forum copy was copied from my local computer, where changes were instantaneous. Any ideas?
(2015-06-21, 05:21 PM)hiigaran Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to guess it's a server side issue, and not a forum one, since the same forum copy was copied from my local computer, where changes were instantaneous. Any ideas?

You're correct.
Hmm, now that's something I have absolutely no idea about. Do you think this is still some sort of caching issue, or could there be another cause for this? I've overwritten images on the server about a day ago, but the forum still shows no changes.

Could it also be possible database issue? I'm guessing not, but at this stage, I'm blindly guessing.