MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Threads Missing From Backup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello Mybb,

Im having an issue with a backup copy of an old forum. The file did not finish downloading when I ran the backup. It stopped at "posts".

All the posts are there. I can view them through phpMyAdmin. However, I cannot think of a way to get this forum online for viewing since the thread tables and users tables are missing. This is a backup from an old forum and hosting account. Its the only file that exists. This forum is no longer online.

Is there a way to get these posts online for viewing without the thread tables? I have another domain which I am pasting the good posts into, so I only need to view them in order to copy/paste. I really dont want to have to sift through phpMyAdmin to do this, especially since there is no way to tell the order of the posts so rebuilding manually is a real pain, not to mention is 88,000 posts.

I appreciate any help you can provide, thank you!

If staff needs to verify that I have my footer correctly crediting mybb, I would prefer to do this privately. Thank you.

Another reason I dont want to copy from phpMyAdmin is because every post has a letter A with an ~ on top of it next to every single period.

Example: I grow sweet corn, summer and winter cabbage, beets, broccoli, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts.Â

This causes a spelling error in every sentence when pasting my content.
There really is no way to do this since the threads table and the users table is missing. You can't do much with part of the database as the two important parts for the posts table to work are gone.

Is there any chance if you rebought that hosting plan (paid on the account you had the website on) that the files and database will be restored? I know some companies clean them out after x months but if they still have them then pay the latest bill and then you can re-download the database.

I don't have any other suggestions for you at this time but another member might have some.
Hey thank you so much for the quick reply!

I have bugged the living heck out of the host for exactly that reason. This was on a dedicated server which was, yes, suspended in August 2014. They said there is nothing they can do. The server has been "terminated". Before I found this copy, I didnt have anything, so I told them I would pay them whatever they wanted for a backup of my old server. They said no.....5 times.

So phpMyAdmin is my only option for viewing these posts? Its too slow!!! Any way to see the actual date of a post in phpMyAdmin, instead of the dateline?
(2015-06-21, 11:18 PM)wcadmin Wrote: [ -> ]Hey thank you so much for the quick reply!

I have bugged the living heck out of the host for exactly that reason. This was on a dedicated server which was, yes, suspended in August 2014. They said there is nothing they can do. The server has been "terminated". Before I found this copy, I didnt have anything, so I told them I would pay them whatever they wanted for a backup of my old server. They said no.....5 times.

So phpMyAdmin is my only option for viewing these posts? Its too slow!!! Any way to see the actual date of a post in phpMyAdmin, instead of the dateline?

Sorry to hear your having issues with the hosts, that seemed like a golden option for you there too. Currently you could convert the timestamp over into real time and see the exact time and date it was posted but I don't see there being any simple solution to this.
Ok, thank you. One more question. Do you know why it puts an  after every damn sentence. I have massive posts to copy....like novels literally.
(2015-06-22, 12:49 AM)wcadmin Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, thank you. One more question. Do you know why it puts an  after every damn sentence. I have massive posts to copy....like novels literally.

The only time I've seen it happen was with users and it was because for some reason it duplicated their usernames.
(2015-06-21, 11:05 PM)wcadmin Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a way to get these posts online for viewing without the thread tables? I have another domain which I am pasting the good posts into, so I only need to view them in order to copy/paste. I really dont want to have to sift through phpMyAdmin to do this, especially since there is no way to tell the order of the posts so rebuilding manually is a real pain, not to mention is 78,000 posts.

My 1st thought was to write a special php script for that purpose.

Another possibility is to create a forum with only one forum and one thread. Then import the table with posts and change the thread number (tid) of all posts to that of the single thread that is present, and also change the forum number (fid) of all posts to that of the single forum that is present. Finally, also the user ID (uid) of all posts must ale be set to an existing user ID in the forum.

I do not know whether this may work, but I think it's worth trying.

The posts backup you have, is that a text version? Then it must be able to remove all  occurrences in one search/replace run.
Thanks for the replies. Good ideas but I give up. I give up on forums all together. I let myself get so involved and obsessed that I lost the woman I love and my family. I have to break the habit lol.