MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Do not understand plugin installs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I am a first time myBB user (usually use SMF) and found it very lightweight to install, after phpBB3 failed to install at all. I have done the basic configurations and have a working forum.

So I decided to install GoMobile, to get a responsive theme. However, I have been unable to do so.

The instructions from ThemeFreak said:

1. Upload contents of "Upload" folder to forum root.

2. Go to ACP > Configuration > Plugins and "Install & Activate" MyBB GoMobile.

I did that, having the folder Upload now in public_html. In my admin panel, the plugin didn't show.

So I moved it to inc/plugins because the admin panel says:

This section allows you to activate, deactivate, and manage the plugins that you have uploaded to your forum's inc/plugins directory.

But that didn't work either.

So I moved all the folders and files that were in the Upload top level folder back to public_html. This time, when I went to activate the plugin, I got a fatal error message and no plugin info for Akismet or anything else showed.

I have restored my last backup and everything is working again.

So my questions is I guess, "How do you upload plugin files?" Where do you put them, and do you include the Upload folder with all its included structure?

The GoMobile plugin is 8Mb and seems to be a complete set of files, similar to the default theme ones. It has its own config.php, htaccess, etc and I don't even know if I have to change the permissions as you do on the original install.

Maybe I picked a hard one as my first one, but I really don't understand the principle at all. Sorry for the long post, but I thought you would need to know as much as possible to see what it is I don't understand.
I believe mybb is the easiest among all forums soft when it comes to plugin installation just upload and activate.

To answer your question:

Check your Gomobile folder inside the upload folder you will see the following folders. inc, images upload those folders in the root of your mybb installation then it will ask you to "overwrite" just say yes.

After that go to your ACP or Admin panel then plugins > look for MybbGomobile and press Activate.
contents of upload folder should be transferred to root folder of forum - do not transfer upload folder itself

see also replies here & here
Thanks for the fast response.

I think I have tried to do too much in one day. On my computer I had two Upload folders, the 8mb one was the complete install for the forum software! No wonder it got confused.

The other Upload folder is the GoMobile one!

Now I feel like a complete idiot. I'll have a break and try again. At least I had the sense to make backups of my files and database as I went, so I could get back to a working copy.

Duh.

Okay, had dinner then tried again. Just transferred the new files to the existing folders using FTP, with none requiring an overwrite.

Went to admin panel and there it was - GoMobile plugin! Activated it and went to forum on PC - no change. Checked it on my phone and sure enough, the forum is now mobile friendly.

I am impressed. Still a few tweaks to make for the mobile version, but basically it just works automatically.

I look forward to many happy days at myBB.
Good to hear : ) have fun