MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: There is No ID on profilefields why?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Which are no longer 1.8 compatible , this removal only affects 1.8.

Plus this doesn't means the FID is unavailable nor that your could not use the PHP options code to make your plugin more friendly in 1.6/1.8.

Plugins shouldn't ask for ids. That is just ugly and lazy.
Quote:Plugins shouldn't ask for ids. That is just ugly and lazy.

It's often impossible to do it without an ID and especially MyBB settings often don't allow the necessary fields. Especially if you keep your plugins 1.6 compatible.

Anyways, if the profile field ID is reincluded we should also show the group id and the forum id as those IDs are also often required. IMHO either add all three or leave it like it is.
(2015-07-02, 07:27 AM)Jones H Wrote: [ -> ]It's often impossible to do it without an ID and especially MyBB settings often don't allow the necessary fields. Especially if you keep your plugins 1.6 compatible.

PHP setting type is 1.6 compatible. If MyBB doesn't offers an friendly dropdown you build your own.

You kind of do this within your MyBot plugins, where you build an username dropdown list instead of requesting the UID. You later show the UID in the setting though.

Anyways if you do it for one place you must do it for every place where a ID a plugin may require is present, just as you say. I would reject this instead.
The MyBot page is a seperated page. As I also allow the creation of a new user or new group. The PHP setting type is pretty hard and stupid to manage, I've tried to create a setting once but had problems as it acted somehow weird. In the end I simply asked for an ID as it was way easier to manage.
(2015-07-01, 09:22 PM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]There is no in-core feature that asks for an profile field id.

Instead of reading it we should probably add a new way for plugins to retrieve a friendly dropdown list of available lists. i.e: A new setting type.

@alexdinpoik why do you need to know the FID for?

to make it easier for me to change the member_profile. its hard to explain but i want my fields to show first
i added some screenshot to make it easier to explain. i saw some one posted like a themed profile. but since im not good with php i dont want to mess things up. so i wanna make it the easy way Dreamweaver OP and by knowing the ID i can put them up in order ID1 Facebook: "his awnser" ID2 Relationship: "single"
[attachment=34572]

so what i truly want is a profile that almost looks like this one. Very nice done. but its"themed"
[attachment=34573]

But more like this one with my own Profile fields and tabs "to advanced for me to make"

[attachment=34574]

(2015-07-01, 11:28 AM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]IMO it doesn't really matter, because you can see the ID in the link if you edit a field. But also nothing against readding that field so it's more user-friendly.

haha thanks i did not know that, i feel so stupid now haha so i guess i can continue doing my thing Thanks Destroy for the answer.

while the rest of you guys can talk in the code language that i dont understand. But one thing to keep in mind is User friendly stuff is always nice. but if you remove something and there is a easy way to see the ID like the link thingy that destroy told me about then Noobs like me will find this type of information very good. so i guess the information is out folks. im kinda new here so i havent read so much about patch/updates you guys have been working on but im glad that this seems to be a good community where every one tries to help and gets answers Thanks again every one.

Hopefully there is some one out there that can do a cool themed profile in the future that i can use thats compatible to this new version. im goin to post this in Theme Requests
(2015-07-02, 07:27 AM)Jones H Wrote: [ -> ]Anyways, if the profile field ID is reincluded we should also show the group id and the forum id as those IDs are also often required. IMHO either add all three or leave it like it is.

Any comment on this?
(2015-07-02, 07:27 AM)Jones H Wrote: [ -> ]Anyways, if the profile field ID is reincluded we should also show the group id and the forum id as those IDs are also often required. IMHO either add all three or leave it like it is.

Where are the group and forum IDs used?
I don't have anything against adding them since they can come in handy for developers, but if they're not needed anywhere in the official package people can still get them from other places instead, like the URLs.
No ID is necessary in 1.8 anymore. IIRC. They were in for the group/forum type of settings but forumselect and groupselect were added to 1.8

And in 1.8.6 there will be a new setting for single IDs for those for the rest of settings missing functionality (1).
(2015-07-06, 07:09 AM)Jones H Wrote: [ -> ]IMHO either add all three or leave it like it is.

I'd vote for not changing it. There are more places that don't show IDs directly even though they could be displayed and sometimes useful for people who don't know about inputs in URLs - smilies/post icons/attachment types in Configuration, profiles/memberlist in front-end, etc.

But if someone wants to add it himself - nothing against that.

And single IDs for groups/forums have already been added to 1.8.5.
(2015-07-06, 06:33 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]And single IDs for groups/forums have already been added to 1.8.5.

Wasn't that delayed to 1.8.6?
Pages: 1 2 3