MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Why mybb over vbulletin, xenforo, or vanilla forums?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,

I am needing to install a forum on my website, but I don't know what I don't know when it comes to forums. I've researched this topic to the point of tears, and I can't seem to figure out which forum is right for me.  On the surface, it looks like mybb is a good fit for me, as it seems very user-friendly--but outside of that, I don't know what to really look for in a forum.

I'd like a forum that can support a large number of users (maybe they all do--I dunno), and perhaps something that offers users the ability to chat with each other. 

Could you please share why you like Mybb, and why you think I should go with this forum over something else? 

Thank you for your time. Smile
The major reason is it's free. Other reasons include the ease of customisation, the wide availability of third party plugins and extensions, the community around the software and more.

Really, I'd advise installing the available (free) options on a localhost using something such as xampp or wamp and seeing which platform meets your needs best. Everybody's requirements are different, and no one size fits all.
(2015-07-09, 06:56 PM)DanaG Wrote: [ -> ]Could you please share why you like Mybb, and why you think I should go with this forum over something else? 

I have always used SMF in the past, as it is very secure, has lots of plugins and you don't need to get your hands dirty with any coding.

However, I needed a mobile friendly forum for my new site and, like you, spent days trying to figure out which one was right for me. While  the GoMobile plugin gave me the mobile function I was looking for with myBB, it did take a lot of re-coding to get it to work correctly.

The more I use myBB, the more I like it. I keep finding features I can use that enable me to customize the forum and individual boards the way I want, simply by changing selections in the admin panel.

There is very little I can't do with myBB that I could with SMF, but it is a lot lighter on my web host.

Forums are magnets for spammers and hackers, so security is the number one priority when it comes to choosing which software to use. Everything else pales into insignificance after that. If I didn't think myBB could be locked down enough, I would not have kept it. But it is working well.

When the new version 2 comes out, it supposedly will be mobile friendly by default, which will be a major plus over other software - including SMF and the other big guns.

I have no issues with recommending myBB, even for someone who has never installed a forum before.
I ended up installing mybb, and for the most part I've found it really user friendly. Thank you everyone for your feedback, I really appreciate it. Smile
(2015-07-10, 08:22 PM)DanaG Wrote: [ -> ]I ended up installing mybb, and for the most part I've found it really user friendly.  Thank you everyone for your feedback, I really appreciate it. Smile

Users seem to really like MYBB.  And while we all like a lot of features,  if our USERS are happy,  we did something right.
I know of a popular commercial forum where when it is installed replacing old software on a forum, everyone complains,  and while it is a solid piece of software, it takes users some time to learn to use it.   It's not friendly.  MYBB is found to be friendly from day one by almost everyone including those who may have not used a forum before.

What other reason would anyone need?
This is a MyBB community so views might be a little biased towards MyBB.
My reason for suggesting MyBB is the numerous amount of plugins, themes and customization you can do with ease. There is a learning curve as well but just after spending some time, you will start understanding how things work in MyBB.
The best thing for MyBB is the active support community and the amount of help you can get in this community. I believe it is the best out there and everyone tries to help fellow MyBB forum administrators Smile

Regards
WallBB