MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: The server encountered an internal error
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello

I am a new MyBB user and just successfully installed your script at www.cmsadmins.com using ftp. The install went rather smoothly and checking different links seemed fine. However, of the three links at the top left – (user cp, mod cp and admin cp) when I click on admin cp I got the error message below. I did look at the faq’s and have included one reference which may be the culprit. Would anyone like to shed some light on what may be misconfigured? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.29 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.29 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_bwlimited/1.4 Server at www.cmsadmins.com Port 80

Is the answer below a possible fix for my situation? I run a VPS so should I contact my support team?

(You don't have permission to access admin/index.php on this server.
Information: This is nearly always a problem with mod_security. mod_security is an Apache extension that is used for security. In MyBB 1.4, mod_security treats the way the URLs are set out in the ACP as a security threat, so it will deny you access.
You should contact your host provider and ask them to whitelist your domain or hosting account against mod_security - basically so that it doesn't affect you anymore.)

I think this is the problem:

"You should contact your host provider and ask them to whitelist your domain or hosting account against mod_security - basically so that it doesn't affect you anymore.)"

So I would try that first. I visited the forum and it looks OK, as far you can judge that as a guest. So the problem is completely that you don't get access to admin/index.php. I tried:

http://www.cmsadmins.com/admin/index.php

and get the same error message.
You could also rename htaccess.txt to just .htaccess without an extension because I believe the default file it attempts to disable mod_security.