MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Attachment ID showing instead of image. Migration issue from 1.6 > 1.8
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Detailed description of your problem, including steps to reproduce if necessary

Background:
This issue appeared when we upgraded from 1.6 to 1.8. We've had this problem a long time and tried to figure it out ourselves with little luck, so now I'm turning to the wider community of brains to see if we can get to the bottom of the problem.

We ask all of our members to upload their pictures to our forum, rather than link to external web hosts (for performance and image longevity reasons). However, since the update SOME (and we have no idea why), but a LOT of photo attachements show up like this:

E.g
[attachment=13263]

[attachment=13264]

We cannot understand why it is no longer able to display the content. Newly uploaded pictures seem to be ok.

We are confident all of the images still exist in the folder as people have said that sometimes they can get them to come back by editing the post.

URL to your forum/URL to specific problematic page

An example post where this occurs: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?...#pid387289

New installation or upgrade (from which version of MyBB)?

This issue occurred when we upgraded from 1.6 to 1.8 (i cannot remember the minor version, but i believe we kept upto date, or up to date -1 on 1.6)

Test user account (if it requires additional permissions)

We run open guest read-only, happy to provide an account if needed.

Screenshot or error text, verbatim

Information available in URL above.

Happy to further information if required, depending on what it is. I suspect it will be a case of you guys asking me the questions to get the information out of me that you need to know.

Regards
306oc
admin panel >> tools & maintenance >> Recount & Rebuild >> Rebuild Attachment Thumbnails --> run it by using Go button

also check groups permissions for the attachments at below location
admin panel >> users & groups >> groups --> edit a user group --> Forums and Posts --> Viewing Options
Hi .M.

Thanks for the response. I didn't actually think to rebuild the thumbnails /facepalm. However I've actually done that and unfortunately the problem still exists.

I've verified that our usergroups do have permissions to view attachments. It does happen at all levels (registered member, upto admin)

Any further suggestions I can try?

One of my friends who is part time DBA, suggested it could be to do with the way that attachments were numbered/stored in the DB in 1.6 vs 1.8. Don't suppose it could be something to do with that?
(2015-07-16, 09:16 PM)306oc Wrote: [ -> ]One of my friends who is part time DBA, suggested it could be to do with the way that attachments were numbered/stored in the DB in 1.6 vs 1.8. Don't suppose it could be something to do with that?

Look in the database whether the thumbnails are filled in for images.

If so, also look at the uploads directory of your forum root. Look whether for images there are 2 entries, 1 with extension .attach and 1 with extension .thumb with everything before that identical.
Hi Ad,

Which tables specifically?

In terms of upload DIR and those file types you mentioned. It seems to roughly collate.

$ ls -lih | grep thumb.jpg | wc -l
$ ls -lih | grep .attach | wc -l
(2015-07-16, 10:13 PM)306oc Wrote: [ -> ]Which tables specifically?

Table "attachments", last column "thumbnail" must contain the *_thumb.jpg link for images and the 6th column "filetype" must be "image/xxx" where xxx is the extension for the image type (jpg, png, etc).

(2015-07-16, 10:13 PM)306oc Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Ad,

In terms of upload DIR and those file types you mentioned. It seems to roughly collate.

OK
Do you have to do this by unix commands, can't you use ftp programs like Cyberduck or FileZilla?
(2015-07-17, 07:03 AM)Ad Bakker Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-07-16, 10:13 PM)306oc Wrote: [ -> ]Which tables specifically?

Table "attachments", last column "thumbnail" must contain the *_thumb.jpg link for images and the 6th column "filetype" must be "image/xxx" where xxx is the extension for the image type (jpg, png, etc).

Ok, yep i can see the *_thumb.jpg in pretty much every column. There are no null fields. Some do say "SMALL" in them, unsure why. Is it fair to say the data in there?

Quote:
(2015-07-16, 10:13 PM)306oc Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Ad,

OK
Do you have to do this by unix commands, can't you use ftp programs like Cyberduck or FileZilla?

No I don't have too, i just chose to do so for the count. I can use winscp or filezilla or whatever really.
^ would you like to provide temporary access to forum admin panel, files & database to check it
this type of issues might not fix in a single session - you may have to wait a few days ..
(2015-07-17, 12:48 PM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]^ would you like to provide temporary access to forum admin panel, files & database to check it
this type of issues might not fix in a single session - you may have to wait a few days ..

Hi M

Yep, i'm happy to provide access. But only to MyBB staff members. 

How would it be best to liaise with MyBB to grant you these account details?
Just to follow up on this. After multiple PM's to you .m. You never got back to us.

Is there anything mybb can do to help resolve this problem? (that doesn't involve me through though 20k images to make the URL correct)
Pages: 1 2