MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Post Via Email
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am the owner of an internet group that has been around since 1993.  It has been a list serv most of its life, but we need to move on with the times. 

We initially were going to go with Drupal and hired someone to set up the forum.  He flaked on us and it never got done.  Recently I started looking at other forums and it looks like Mybb may be an even better fit.

We still have old timers who would prefer to post via e-mail and I see there was a plug in for version 1.6 that enables this, but it is in the obsolete plug in section.  Does it not work with version 1.8?

Additionally is there anybody out there who can configure a mybb system for us?  We have a dedicated Mac Mini server in a server farm and we need to install the e-mail server on it as well as mybb.  Even if we can't get post via e-mail to work, we do want to have the e-mail notification features enabled.

Thanks,
I too would like the post via email feature, but have a read the other threads saying it has not worked well or at all. 
The plugin itself has only 2 stars for its review. Many of the posts about this feature are old.

Is anyone using the post via email plugin successfully now?
Can anyone provide guidance?

wdolson, I do use the notification email plugin successfully, but my groups are again complaining they'd rather also see post and reply by email.
 I am using Automatic Subscriptions (1.0) Created by MattRogowski

I am using myBB 1.6.15

There are some glitches - I can't seem to go into people's profile and set up the autosubs for them - most of my members are't very good at doing all this themselves. However I can go in through my hosting cpanel into mysql admin and into the user database and change them there - this is just marginally above my knowledge level and I had someone show me where to go and how to do this.

I would also like to modify the notification email to show much more of the post, but can't find where I do that/what template to change. ANyone know please?
(2015-08-07, 02:55 AM)jaffakatie Wrote: [ -> ]I would also like to modify the notification email to show much more of the post, but can't find where I do that/what template to change. Anyone know please?

You can set the number of characters of the message excerpt sent with an e-mail by:

AdminCP -> Configuration (settings) -> Posting -> Amount of Characters for Subscription Previews

Default this is 100, but you can set it far larger of course.

(2015-08-07, 02:55 AM)jaffakatie Wrote: [ -> ]and I had someone show me where to go and how to do this.

You must go to phpMyAdmin to access your data base. Choose your database and run the following query:

UPDATE `mybb_users` SET subscriptionmethod = 2 WHERE 1

where I assume that you use mybb_ as your database table prefix. Adjust it otherwise.
Ad bakker, 
thank you for your help.