MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Disallow random username registrations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

How can I disallow random username combo's from registering? Like abcd54545874 as a username?
You have to set criteria for that, there will start the problems I think.
Perhaps there are algorithms for that purpose, but I don't know any. It will cerrtainly also be language dependent.

Would you pass the test with "samip537"?
(2015-07-26, 08:03 PM)Ad Bakker Wrote: [ -> ]You have to set criteria for that, there will start the problems I think.
Perhaps there are algorithms for that purpose, but I don't know any. It will cerrtainly also be language dependent.

Would you pass the test with "samip537"?

Where would I even set the criteria?
My username is not random. There's a meaning behind it.
(2015-07-26, 10:29 PM)samip537 Wrote: [ -> ]My username is not random. There's a meaning behind it.

Yes, but the software that can understand that from the blind has still to be developed.
I think you are on a mission impossible.
(2015-07-27, 07:42 AM)Ad Bakker Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-07-26, 10:29 PM)samip537 Wrote: [ -> ]My username is not random. There's a meaning behind it.

Yes, but the software that can understand that from the blind has still to be developed.
I think you are on a mission impossible.

:'(
Ad is right it will be impossible to block random usernames, there may be a meaning to samip537 to you the same as there is sarisisop for me but they are both made up of random combinations and not words to be found in any dictionary.

If you do want to play with it however you can do so here:

AdminCP > Users & Groups > Left hand side "Banning" > Disallowed Usernames.

Add the ones you want disallowed in there, but your combinations could end up in the Billions.

Good luck.