MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Controlling Signature Image Size Max
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I would love to be able to control the max size a signature image could be.  Not being able to has me eliminating the ability for users to include images in signatures because I can't stand it when people have big distracting signatures like that.

Thanks for the great software.
I think that's a great suggestion. I've seen some awfully huge signatures on forums and they do tend to be distracting and just plain annoying to have to scroll past a signature that uses a huge image. I'd like to see this implemented into MyBB 2.0. MyBB 1.8 already has the means to limit Avatar size (as does MyBB 1.6 if I recall correctly), so it wouldn't be that difficult to implement a similar way for signatures either, would it?
If possible, I would also like to see it implemented as a global "profile" setting, with the option to switch to from global to usergroup-based settings. But if that's too much code to figure into the overall scheme, then I would just settle for a global signature image size restrictions setting that administrators can configure.
(2015-07-31, 11:16 AM)Vashnik Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB 1.8 already has the means to limit Avatar size (as does MyBB 1.6 if I recall correctly), so it wouldn't be that difficult to implement a similar way for signatures either, would it?

It's a different problem from avatars. Avatars are always an image, that is there 'type' if you like. Whereas a signature may contain an image via tags, it is not only an image. You don't 'upload' an image to your signature, you hotlink it with a tag. This makes it a different challenge than implementing max image dimensions for avatars.
(2015-07-31, 03:11 PM)Will P Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-07-31, 11:16 AM)Vashnik Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB 1.8 already has the means to limit Avatar size (as does MyBB 1.6 if I recall correctly), so it wouldn't be that difficult to implement a similar way for signatures either, would it?

It's a different problem from avatars. Avatars are always an image, that is there 'type' if you like. Whereas a signature may contain an image via tags, it is not only an image. You don't 'upload' an image to your signature, you hotlink it with a tag. This makes it a different challenge than implementing max image dimensions for avatars.

Well, it wouldn't be so hard to scan for an image which should get embed via the [img] tag and then get the imagesize with getimagesize(), since it also supports HTTP(S) if the stream is supported by PHP. I think that is even how WoltLab does it.