MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Changing Colors of things in 8.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, new guy here. I'm brand new to this so please treat me like I know nothing more than how to walk and breath at the same time.  Wink

I am looking to change a few colors of mybb but I am not sure where to start. I guess I will start out slow and do one thing at a time. I know nothing about CSS so please be patient with me.

In the default theme, the bars that run across the forum are Black and Blue. I would like to change them to dark green and light green. I found a hex color picker on the net so this will help me with picking the green hex numbers(?).

Can anyone tell me where to go in the admin control panel to find the place I need to change? does anyone know what the hex numbers are for the Black and Blue are so that I can hunt & peck my way through the code and change things out?

I dont need to change the admin side of the house, just what the users will see unless one changes the other and I get a 2fur. 

There are other things I want to change but I will start with this for now.

Thanks for your help in this.
John

P.S. I almost forgot, here is the forum: www.diybiochar.org/forum .  I have not added any topics yet so you can see what I am talking about on the main forum page. The black and blue bars (I don't know what they are called) for the forum. Thanks!
in general, this method can be used to change the colors of MyBB theme in version 1.8.x

html color codes can be seen here

however, may be its better to install & use a new theme which suits more for your forum
MyBB 1.8.x themes => http://community.mybb.com/mods.php?actio...ory=themes
theme installation guidance => http://community.mybb.com/thread-163256.html
Thanks for the reply!

I found the 8.1 themes earlier today but did not care for any of the green ones as they look to be more for game style sites. I do thank you for the suggestion though.

I will read through the thread you posted at the beginning of your reply and see what I can do with it.

Thanks!
John
have you also tried changing base color at the theme properties .. Leaf as base color might be helpful in making new colors style sheet
No I have not changed the base color. Is Leaf a color or is that a template of some kind? I'll go look for it.

John

EDIT: all I'm finding for templates is something called JAMPS so far....
^ oh! MyBB 1.8 stock theme can be used with different base colors and Leaf is one of those base colors

forum admin panel >> Templates & Style >> Themes >> Default
--> scroll down for Manage Colors --> Base Color --> select Leaf & save settings

that uses main colors from color_leaf.css style sheet
So........are the different style sheets that I see different themes or are they different sections/parts of the default theme. Like the header section or the logo section or the login screen?......

John

Nice! I like it!

Now, is there a way to change the color of the Logo area to white so that my logo blends in? and can I change the color of the background area that surrounds the forum area/blank space?

Okay, I figured out the Logo color from the drop down box thing in the Leaf CSS thing.

John
of course, almost everything related to theme can be modified to suit your taste / requirement.
however, I feel its better to use a transparent logo for the forum (eg. logo.png)

for more customization, if required, you may hire a theme coder through Requests, Services & Jobs section
I could make the logo transparent as I made the thing with Inkscape but I am trying to make the forum look as close to my Wordpress site as I can. I know it will not be perfect but close will do just fine.

Any idea what part of Leaf controls the black and blue bars that run across the forum? What are these things called?

John
^ fine Smile can you try using browser inspecting tool to get elements' details and try modifying required style properties ..
Pages: 1 2