MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Xthreads integration (Custom template prefixes)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Template conditionals are built in to Twig, the template system we are using, along with loops, including other templates, and more.
Yea, I was reading up on Twig, it looks great Smile

I hope that some of the attach features of XThreads will find its way into core; with a responsive theme as part of MyBB2.0 it would be nice to be able to control image-attachment sizing in a better way than the current (and yes I know the devs have acknowledged the current system is rather poor) attachment system.
I was discussing this with another board owner. The reason we both want XThreads functions (specific templates for certain forums, the ability to build simple forms in the templates and the option to serve different sized thumbnails) is because our forum is about something, and the thing it is about is integrated into the forum, making it a lot easier for a new user to extend the board functions.

Example (my own site) - my site is about modding the sims game. We have discussion areas and we share the items we have made. When sharing an item I use an Xthreads setup to ensure that the uploader of the item has provided all the information I want.

This setup offers filters to find a subset of mod type, it has some images to indicate what the user will get, the users can respond to the thread directly and the post information is controlled with a new thread template. It is a lot easier to use than this. IF there was no mods site then the MyBB forum to release threads would be the only area to find releases for MyBB plugins.

Its not just for downloads. This portal page is Xthreads powered. This Review System is XThreads powered.

Xthreads isnt a plugin that does a thing like add a sidebar or a bans list; its a toolbox that allows board owners to make almost anything they like within the MyBB forumdisplay/showthread/new thread templates. It makes MyBB worth using.
Very well said, Leefish!
+1 for Leefish Big Grin

My forum is about promotions and product reviews, it is based on Xthreads and Template Conditionals for 80%, only other 3-4 plugins from mybb (last/first avatar, shoutbox, thank you and like system etc).

New Thread

- Custom Thread Fields on New Thread template: expiration date of the promotion, link (URL) to external website promotion, promotion category, image preview (I don't use image system of Mybb).

At the date of expiration the thread is automatically moved on other forum, this with a cron job on server but without the "Text Mask Filter" (you can enter a regular expression, like a URL, date, email, number, text etc) it would be impossible.

- If show or hide this new thread for specific usegroups or not. I don't use permission system of Mybb but only Template Conditionals.

Portal

- I can decide which threads show on the Portal: http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/showthread.php?tid=474

Forumdisplay and Forumdisplay_thread

- Quick Thread on Forumdisplay: http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/showthre...278&page=2

- Thread Prefix: http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/showthread.php?tid=291

- Filter for categories (I filter custom thread fields).

Showthread

In addition to the fields, I can decide the size of the image preview (Xthreads creates a thumbnail). In ACP you can set the size of thumbnails and many other things about images:

Valid File Extensions (i.e. gif|png|jpg|jpeg ),
Maximum File Size,
Minimum and Maximum Image Dimensions user can upload,

Image Thumbnail Generation and crop: this is a pipe separated list of thumbnail dimensions which will be generated. For example, if 160x120|320x240 is entered here, a 160x120 and a 320x240 thumbnail will be generated from the uploaded image. These thumbnails can be accessed using something like {$GLOBALS['threadfields']['key']['thumbs']['160x120']['url']}.

Instead of specifying dimensions, you may also specify a filter chain. These are in the format name=chain where name is alphanumeric (and accepts the underscore character) and chain represents a list of filters.

Example: mythumb=scale_min(160, 120)->crop(160,120)|320x240 will generate two thumbnails - the first being an image which is exactly 160x120 in dimension (and is accessible through {$GLOBALS['threadfields']['key']['thumbs']['mythumb']['item']}), whilst the second would be scaled so that it is less than or equal to 320x240 in size. See Documentation/undoc.html (in the XThreads package) for the full list of available filters.

On a forum I have Review thread layout, more or less like this (I have customized colours etc obviously):

[Image: 6oog1z.jpg]
Image from Xthreads forum

Permissions

I can decide which specific thread show/hide to guests and specific usergroups.

Different layout for Forum ID

For example on the forum 32 I want layout "review" for threads. On forum I set the Template Prefix and I can edit totally that forum, it will be totally different from layout of "default layout" other sections: http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/showthread.php?tid=301

..and much more Big Grin

All this only with this " Plugin " Big Grin But it is like a new system on Mybb, it isn't a normal Plugin...

http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/showthread.php?tid=1131

https://github.com/zingaburga/XThreads-MyBB-Plugin

Many examples here: http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/showthread.php?tid=559

[Image: drf8qw.jpg]

[Image: wuphfs.jpg]

[Image: 25qu2zc.jpg]

Trading layout

[Image: attachment.php?aid=185]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=179]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=177]

Images from Xthreads forum

Old documentation of Xthreads: http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/attachment.php?aid=725
Custom Thread Fields sounds interesting.
Indeed, I do think that the MyBB dev team should maybe have a look at what XThreads does and what is added in the ACP (ie install it and try it) before writing off a proposal for SOME of its features to be integrated to core. Smile
We can't promise it to be integrated in 2.0, which we're aiming to try and ship sooner rather than later. However we will be releasing several point releases such as 2.1.0, 2.2.0, etc. in which new major features will be added.

That's not to say I'm writing this off, just that it might not make it into the first release Smile I've used (and supported) xThreads quite a bit and I do love the power it affords.
Xthreads is nothing short of amazing! It does have a learning curve but it's worth it in the long run Smile
(2015-08-27, 08:59 AM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]I was discussing this with another board owner. The reason we both want XThreads functions (specific templates for certain forums, the ability to build simple forms in the templates and the option to serve different sized thumbnails) is because our forum is about something, and the thing it is about is integrated into the forum, making it a lot easier for a new user to extend the board functions.

Example (my own site) - my site is about modding the sims game. We have discussion areas and we share the items we have made. When sharing an item I use an Xthreads setup to ensure that the uploader of the item has provided all the information I want.

This setup offers filters to find a subset of mod type, it has some images to indicate what the user will get, the users can respond to the thread directly and the post information is controlled with a new thread template. It is a lot easier to use than this. IF there was no mods site then the MyBB forum to release threads would be the only area to find releases for MyBB plugins.

Its not just for downloads. This portal page is Xthreads powered. This Review System is XThreads powered.

Xthreads isnt a plugin that does a thing like add a sidebar or a bans list; its a toolbox that allows board owners to make almost anything they like within the MyBB forumdisplay/showthread/new thread templates. It makes MyBB worth using.

Why not make it an official MyBB 2.0 plugin? It would allow MyBB 2.0 to be released "on schedule" while at the same time still be an optional feature officially supported by MyBB Group.
Pages: 1 2 3