MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Installing plugins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Im new to Mybb and although i love the software the documentation on installing plugins given in the notes in the product is very vague, and quite unusable by a novice user.

To say upload the contents of the upload folder to the root in the CPanel will not cut it. That is a huge area, and needs better and more detailed instructions.

Help Please.
basically plugin files are to be added to inc/plugins folder of MyBB files server.
if plugin consists of single php file then that is the simple method. but plugin might
consist of several files. in that case we have to follow folder structure of plugin files.
this can be confusing at sometimes as plugin coders may not follow unified method to
pack their plugin files. readme file if exists with plugin can consist of the instructions

after adding the plugin files you have to visit admin panel >> configuration >> plugins
page to install & activate newly added plugin. then proceed to configuration >> settings
page to find the settings related to newly added plugin and setup the plugin settings.

youtube has some videos to help (you can search for MyBB plugins installation)
Thanks for your help ??

here is what came with a plugin i wanted to use;

Upload contents of the Upload folder to the root of your MyBB installation. ***

Go to Admin CP -> Configuration -> Plugins and Activate "My Advertisements"

Then go to Settings -> My Advertisements and change anything you need.
Note 1: Make sure you ACTIVATE the My Advertisements task from the Admin CP too! - IMPORTANT -

IMHO that is very vague, and un-professional by nature. He might as well have siad, to use this plugin, you are on your own.

And although i do appreciate your attempt at an explanation, it basically said the same thing.

Mybb would be much better served if they required more detailed instructions with every plugin or made them all self installing like SMF.

All this is serving to accomplish is to push me more toward another software.

Thanks
^ hmm., may be this can be the simple method - if you are using a ftp client like filezilla then
all the contents of the upload folder can be selected and dragged to forum root folder of the ftp client ..
i dont have an issue getting it into my CPanel, its where to put them after they are there.

Ok, for anyone else that is totally lost on this issue.

1. Use a program like WinRar to create a .zip file out of the upload folder in your downloaded package.

2. Upload the contents of the upload folder to the home directory in your cpanel, i just used the native uploader tool not FTP,

3. unzip it to a folder named to whatever you choose, i used Upload.

4. once unzipped, open that folder and select all files, then drag them to the public_html file as is.

Then go to your admin cp in your forum, and bingo there it is, activate and install. Smile

And a big thanks to myself for figuring that out on my own.
^ depends on where you installed MyBB forum. if forum loads by domain URL (eg. http://domain.com) then public_html (or www
or htdocs) is the root folder of your MyBB forum. it consists of global.php, xmlhttp.php, index.php & other files and sub-folders