MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Different Forum Icons .
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What if there is a gaming forum

Everyone would like to

have World of warcraft icon on World Of Warcraft Forums 
and Leagues of Legends icon on Leagues Of Legends Forums

Hope you understand

If Not See The Attachment
Index of MyBB 2.0:
https://twitter.com/MyBB/status/568493107446210560

There probably won't be any forum status icons.
Quote:*What Adrian Said*

Thats Not What I meant bruh .

Its the feedback forum right ?

I was just suggesting a feature that they could add :|

If they have not added it yet ?

They might in the future :/
There is a custom forum icon plugin for 1.8; maybe it could be updated for 2.0.
It's just a matter of template edits, don't even need a plugin.
(2015-08-10, 08:33 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]It's just a matter of template edits, don't even need a plugin.

Usually involving variables to substitute for the filename, such as {forumid}.png and naming all custom icons using a number, and copy-pasting icons if you want to use it again.

This "custom icons" feature seems to be requested a lot. I propose this as a suggestion for MyBB 2.0: Include a forum icon manager (if not in the core, then perhaps as an addon/plugin). It would come in handy to have a better way to manage the forum icons than the simple template edit approach. Referencing to existing icons through a forum icon manager if you want to re-use an icon more than once would make MyBB 2.0 the first forum software to do so (as far as I know) and would let MyBB 2.0 stand out a lot more than the competing brands.

So for example, say you have 5 icons, but you have 6 forums. You plan to use one of those icons again. Normally you would have to have 6 files. If MyBB 2.0 has a forum icon manager, then ideally, you would only need 5 files at the most (if using the new way MyBB uses icon sheets, such as forum_icon_sprite.png, might even be able to fit it into 1 files if image is done correctly and users knows how MyBB will handle the sheet).
The files for example (if going with 5 icon sheets):
Generic.png - A generic icon sheet with MyBB's default forum icons with and without replies, locked, and redirect links.
Help.png - A sheet that represents the help forum with and without replies, locked, and redirect.
Locked.png - An icon sheet with different icons to represent a locked forum with and without new replies.
Gamepad.png - An icon sheet with different icons to represent gaming, with and without new replies.
Linkto.png - An icon sheet with different icons that represent links to other parts of the site or off the site.

Just an example of how advanced the suggestion can ideally be, if implemented. It would probably be best that, again if this gets implemented, a standard dimension size be set for the icons in the sheet for it to work beautifully and people follow those sizes. Additionally, the suggestion would need to let the user specify how many icons are on the sheet. Even as I type the suggestion, it sounds like it would take a bit of time, but in the end (whether it be a plugin/addon or part of the core) it would make MyBB 2.0 stand out more than any other forum software.
will we get this as core with URL AND upload forum icons?
Vashnik Wrote:Usually involving variables to substitute for the filename, such as {forumid}.png and naming all custom icons using a number, and copy-pasting icons if you want to use it again.
U can add your all icons in one sheet, and then simply ascribe to forum by css.
css for example:
.masterclass {
background: url(image);
/*other stuff*/
}

.forumid_1 {
background-position: 0 0;
}
Want to add one icon in many forums?
.forumid_1, .forumid_3, .forumid_4 {
background-position: 0 0;
}