MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Discourage System
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Please add a discourage system to MyBB 2.0, similar to what is on Xenforo. This can be turned on/off in the Admin CP.

This could also be used with reputation, more negative reputation means slower web loading.

I use the plugin on my forum as a banning alternative, to slow down members breaking the rules.

More info: https://theadminzone.com/threads/xenforo...tion.78190
Plugin: http://mods.mybb.com/view/miserable-users
I don't understand why MyBB should support the idea of slowing down web connections. I think it's already stupid to make a two class internet where paying companies get their IP packages faster transmitted than everyone else's. If you want someone to leave, ban his account or IP. But implementing a discourage system like that is a punch in MyBB's own face.
I think this could be a useful addition to MyBB as a plugin. I mean if everyone knows MyBB has this as a core feature then any time slowdown happens or pages don't load properly then everyone thinks they've been hellbanned (or whatever the name is). Even in cases where it's actually just the server is down for maintenance or whatever the case may be.
Plus in cases where a user is being troublesome, if they know MyBB this has by default then the second they run into issues they just make a new account and bypass this system. (Part of the effectiveness of any sort of Hellban system is that the users don't know whether or not it's installed. So they can't pinpoint whether it's actually the server having issues, their internet having issues or the server faking issues for them.)

That stated, I do think it is a useful addition and I'd like to see it as a MyBB 2.0 mod.
I don't like the idea of having it in the core as it would promote bad practices. It already seems odd for xenForo to implement such feature.
(2015-08-13, 09:38 PM)Devilshakerz Wrote: [ -> ]I don't like the idea of having it in the core as it would promote bad practices. It already seems odd for xenForo to implement such feature.

Agreed.
Originally I was in support of this feature, as I've seen it implemented well in other forums that I've been on in the past. However, I agree that it could cause an image problem for MyBB and make it look like the software is always slow, which is the opposite of the perception we want to have. The other issue is that, once the trolls understand that the feature is in the core, they'll probably try to ask us to un-Discourage them, because so many people already have no idea that the MyBB Group is not associated with any specific forums other than this one.

As a plugin though, I could see this being another decent tool to have, alongside Hellbanning/Shadowbanning (which would be my proposed alternatives).
(2015-08-14, 03:04 PM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]Originally I was in support of this feature, as I've seen it implemented well in other forums that I've been on in the past. However, I agree that it could cause an image problem for MyBB and make it look like the software is always slow, which is the opposite of the perception we want to have. The other issue is that, once the trolls understand that the feature is in the core, they'll probably try to ask us to un-Discourage them, because so many people already have no idea that the MyBB Group is not associated with any specific forums other than this one.

As a plugin though, I could see this being another decent tool to have, alongside Hellbanning/Shadowbanning (which would be my proposed alternatives).

Hell Banning honestly needs to be put into the core, I am quite shocked at how many softwares do not support this and personally I used it more than the actual ban system itself.
(2015-08-13, 08:35 PM)Exception Wrote: [ -> ]I don't understand why MyBB should support the idea of slowing down web connections. I think it's already stupid to make a two class internet where paying companies get their IP packages faster transmitted than everyone else's. If you want someone to leave, ban his account or IP. But implementing a discourage system like that is a punch in MyBB's own face.

Fully agreed.
I disagree with this idea. I feel that some of the "discouraged" users are just the unpopular ones. Not just the ones that spam or go against the rules. I think this would be better as a plugin than in the core feature, if anything.

I feel if you want to ban or punish people, it should be by getting rid of their permissions, temp ban, or a perm ban.