MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Facebook connect and port 443
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there an alternative plug in to this one which allow me to add the ability to register on my forum with their facebook account.

I have tried to install this one but I have issues with port 443.

When I try to install it comes up reading port 443 is not open, but my server is adamant the port IS open and the error is returning inaccurate information.

They refuse to offer any further help as they say the problem is with the plug in or the MyBB pages and not them.  

There seems to be very little support for this plug in

Do i have any alternatives or is there a way around this.
I always support people who use my plugins, but only if they provide accurate informations on how to reproduce the error. Also, I hardly ever read posts outside the release thread in the Plugins forum, just because I am not very active anymore.

Regarding your issue, the plugin automatically checks if port 443 is open by sending a 3 secs request to the localhost using the fsockopen() PHP function. The purpose of this operation is to ensure that the plugin will be able to connect to Facebook's servers through the 443 port, and although I could include the debugging informations on failure, I didn't because most of the times the check returns a legit response.

You can comment out this line and you will be able to install it since that is the function call for the port check. Keep in mind that the plugin might not work if the port is actually truly closed though. Although this operation does not harm your forum in any way, I would suggest you to do this only if you are entirely sure the port is actually opened.
Thank you for getting back to me.  To be honest I feel I am being told fibs (to be polite) by my server.  Below is a copy of an email I have just sent to them.  The results may mean more to you than to me but it appears to me they are not coming clean with information.

Following my phone call to try to solve this issue. I found the response very unhelpful with your representative adamant that port 443 is open. Since you say the problem is not at your side and the plug in manufacturer adamant that their plug is working and others use it successfully with other servers, With that in mind I felt I need to do my own research. I found the following web page https://pentest-tools.com/discovery-prob...nline-nmap which produced these results

Starting job... [2015-08-14 10:03:49] Stay on this page for results!

Starting Nmap 6.00 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2015-08-14 13:03 EEST 
Initiating Ping Scan at 13:03 
Scanning vip7.freeola.net (193.0.158.7) [4 ports] 
Completed Ping Scan at 13:03, 0.05s elapsed (1 total hosts) 
Initiating SYN Stealth Scan at 13:03 
Scanning vip7.freeola.net (193.0.158.7) [2 ports] 
Discovered open port 80/tcp on 193.0.158.7 
Completed SYN Stealth Scan at 13:03, 0.04s elapsed (2 total ports) 

Nmap scan report for vip7.freeola.net (193.0.158.7) 
Host is up (0.013s latency). 

PORT STATE SERVICE 
80/tcp open http 
443/tcp closed https 

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.56 seconds 
Raw packets sent: 6 (240B) | Rcvd: 3 (112B) 

Job finished [2015-08-14 10:03:50]

This suggests the information I am receiving from freeola is inaccurate.
The port looks closed from your behalf and that's why the check prevents the installation. This is a problem related to your host, not my plugin and unfortunately I can't do anything more than suggesting you to insist with them.
Again, I appreciate your help. I will continue to argue the point with them. If all else fails I will comment out the line as you suggested and try to see if it works. Although I doubt it but I suppose if they are adamant the port is open I may need to at least try that.

By the way I am a complete novice with these things. I know how to comment out a line, but could you clarify for me where to find the script I need to ammend.

Sorry (Please excuse my ignorance) I tend to guess my way around these things. lol
The file is /inc/plugins/myfbconnect.php.
Thank you again
Almost there....after several issues with this plugin I have eventually got it to work. However I still have one minor problem and I´m not sure where to correct it. After logging in to the forum using facebook, the page redirect people back to their own facebook page. It is still working because if they go to the forum they will find they are already logged in. Where can I find this setting so that people are redirected back to the forum after log in?
If you are using the latest version (2.2), this shouldn't happen. The redirect function should get back to the forum once the user has authorized the application.
Seems to have stopped doing it now. Or maybe it only does in on first register. My trial one is working ok anyway. Thanks again