MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Thread sharing across forums
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My forum is a sports forum, mostly football. www.sportsbabble.co.uk

The one regular request from the members is to be able to create a 'match thread' and to share/link with the two forums used by the fans of those clubs.

On the old BBC 606 forum anyone could create a thread and list the clubs/forums for it to be visible to and able to take comments. I'd be happy to have the ability to create this type of 'shared thread' to be limited to moderators or another category of 'official.
And how do you think should this work? Making a database connection to a remote database server isn't riskfree and most database servers block connections from outside anyway. So this is not going to work if they are not on the same webspace/server. And I don't think this should be a core feature anyway. This is going to work good enough with a plugin, if at all.
(2015-08-17, 05:20 PM)Exception Wrote: [ -> ]And how do you think should this work? Making a database connection to a remote database server isn't riskfree and most database servers block connections from outside anyway. So this is not going to work if they are not on the same webspace/server. And I don't think this should be a core feature anyway. This is going to work good enough with a plugin, if at all.

Hey, I have no idea - I am just the owner of a forum and am reflecting what people want, hoping someone will tell me its possible or not.

The BBC606 forum had this feature and so lots of football fans liked it and naturally look for it. It might be that a match day blog can be created and promoted to each of the club forums and with links?

I just want simple chat features and desperately want 2.0 to get to a release date so I can have the default mobile features.
(2015-08-17, 05:20 PM)Exception Wrote: [ -> ]And how do you think should this work? Making a database connection to a remote database server isn't riskfree and most database servers block connections from outside anyway. So this is not going to work if they are not on the same webspace/server. And I don't think this should be a core feature anyway. This is going to work good enough with a plugin, if at all.

In this case, forum was meant to mean a section of the board, which would not necessitate remote database connections.
I just had a look at your site - gosh thats a lot of subforums. Basically, what you want is the ability to make a thread and then limit replies to the members of the two clubs' supporters right? Do you use usergroups at all?

Re responsive, you could always ask for a custom theme to be built (at a cost usually) ; MyBB can be made responsive.
@Leefish - No. OP wants the thread to appear in multiple forums (i.e. multiple fids). I don't believe there was any mention of posting permissions.
The scenario is that during the week (or longer) before a match someone creates a 'Team A v Team B' Thread (or other).

This 'Thread' is linked to the two sub forums which represent these clubs and so is visible to members of either sub forum and can be commented on and their comments visible in both.

If there is a way to do this already, great. I just don't know about it. If there is an alternative way of doing this such as having a blog space for matches in 2.0 when ever it becomes available, I'd love to know as this would excite the membership (so long as we are not 12 months plus away from release?)
So, my thought is that you could create the thread in one, and then move the thread to the other forum with a redirect left for some amount of days. It's not perfect, but it could work for now, or at least as a temporary way to get by.
Ok - thanks. I will look at the practicality of that - but suspect it's too awkward to offer to members rather than a actual solution that has an ordered sequence and menu options
I am using this right now in 1.8. One thread can be in multiple forums (and many are).
Actually it is quite easy to implement (in code level). You only need some system to point thread to additional forums.
And code is quite easy - only 2 queries changed in forumdisplay.php (one for counting total threads in page, and other for selecting threads).

And I have this for forums too. One forum can have multiple parents. And it is easy too - just few lines of change in forumdisplay.php (for subforums) and index.php.

And this is the reason why I will not move to MyBB-2 too soon, I will need to reimplement this system Big Grin. It is easy only when you now what to change, and 2.0 will be totally new.

I doubt this will be done for 2.0, because it needs some structural changes, but it is good suggestion. It is very useful in some cases.