MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Where should I start? Designing a semi-complex plugin.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Like the title says, where should I start?

My site is primarily dedicated to writing, and writing well, so I was figuring on a rather interesting plugin that I haven't found anywhere. My plugin will calculate (and store in the database) the Flesch-Kincaid readability scoring and Gunning-Fog Index for every post, and list the information right below the user's post info on the left. Also, in the user's profile there would be a field showing the averages for both.

Only... how would I add/remove columns from a given table on plugin activate/deactivate? How would I, in recounting all posts, calculate the levels of all the existing posts? And how would I display a small icon/award for those exceeding a given level dynamically, based on the average of their posts? And (phew) how would I do all this math and cache it on new posts so that the forum itself wouldn't noticeably slow down a whole bunch?

Wow, lots of questions. Needless to say, this is just the starting idea, so I haven't given it loads of thought, yet. But I thought it'd be really interesting. Wink