MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Re-installing myBB , "phpMyAdmin" question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have "re-installed" a fresh copy of myBB (V1.2.3) due to me messing up the old copy during a theme and plugin install. So, I am now in "phpMyAdmin", on my server and see all the tables to my forum, but not sure how to re-install all the database tables back into my forum. Any help would be appreciated.
copy the tables to the other database and edit the new ./inc/config.php information.
Or export then import them to the new db.

That won't fix the theme issue anyway i guess.
zaher1988 Wrote:copy the tables to the other database and edit the new ./inc/config.php information.
Or export then import them to the new db.

That won't fix the theme issue anyway i guess.

I was still going to use the old DB name. Can I do that? OR, would it be easier to create a new DB and import the saved DB info I have imported to my computer..I am not worried about loosing the themes I had, I am just going to stick with the original.
You can use the old one and I believe if you ran the install file again it will overwrite your old db with the new db fresh one.

~Z
Well, I'll tell you what I did and what happened. Sad
I deleted the old DB, named a new one, imported the old DB that I had backed-up on my computer to the new DB, and now I am right back where I started from. I am now showing the very theme I wanted to be removed, it's not working with a plugin thats why I wanted to return to the "original" myBB theme. What I don't get is even after deleting off my host the entire myBB script and re-installing a new copy of the script, I still don't have the option of choosing the original myBB theme which worked fine with all my plugins. Is this because I uploaded the "data and structure" file? If I would have uploaded the "data only" file, would that have kept the original myBB theme and just added all the postings only? I simply want to get back to a fresh install of V1.2.3 (using the original theme) and not loose my posts on the board in the process.
corky Wrote:Well, I'll tell you what I did and what happened. Sad
I deleted the old DB, named a new one, imported the old DB that I had backed-up on my computer to the new DB, and now I am right back where I started from. I am now showing the very theme I wanted to be removed, it's not working with a plugin thats why I wanted to return to the "original" myBB theme. What I don't get is even after deleting off my host the entire myBB script and re-installing a new copy of the script, I still don't have the option of choosing the original myBB theme which worked fine with all my plugins. Is this because I uploaded the "data and structure" file? If I would have uploaded the "data only" file, would that have kept the original myBB theme and just added all the postings only? I simply want to get back to a fresh install of V1.2.3 (using the original theme) and not loose my posts on the board in the process.

The theme is stored in the db so as many times you reinstall then import the old theme you will always get back to that theme,

What you have to do now is to go to Admin CP > Themes > Add
When you add make sure that the Parent Theme is MyBB Master Style.This way you will get a new theme with MyBB's default.
Thank you Zaher, that simple little click did the trick. Just out of curiosity, what is the difference between "data and structure" and "data only" when it refers to a DB back-up? When would one use say, "data only"?
Thanks again...
In case you want the query to create the table, choose structure. In case you only need the data in that table, choose data, and if both select both Rolleyes
zaher1988 Wrote:In case you want the query to create the table, choose structure. In case you only need the data in that table, choose data, and if both select both Rolleyes

I guess what I am getting at is, if I only wanted the actual "text" of my forum, (or postings) and nothing else, (no themes, avatars, plugins or the like) would I use download "data only"? Or, if not by using "data only", is there a way to only save the text of a forum for input into a "fresh install" of myBB?

Thanks for helping this fan (but semi-newbie) of myBB!
corky Wrote:
zaher1988 Wrote:In case you want the query to create the table, choose structure. In case you only need the data in that table, choose data, and if both select both Rolleyes

I guess what I am getting at is, if I only wanted the actual "text" of my forum, (or postings) and nothing else, (no themes, avatars, plugins or the like) would I use download "data only"? Or, if not by using "data only", is there a way to only save the text of a forum for input into a "fresh install" of myBB?

Thanks for helping this fan (but semi-newbie) of myBB!

Oh NOO not like this.. keep the files aside we don't deal with file when talking about the DB right now.
As you know each db has tables and each table has a structur (uid, username ....). To create this table you need a create query this query can be generated if you selecte structure, therefore when you import this backup the tables will be created also, however if you only select data, the data inside this table will be exported alone, so when you want to import them later on, you should have a table suitable for them before importing them.
Pages: 1 2