MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Framework for 2.0?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Im not up to date on the workings of 2.0 since my vacation last year....

Is yii still in the works or did you go with something else?
Given it's crazy popularity I would almost assume it to be Laravel now?
As Nathan suggested, the dev posts are as good a starting place as any. Laravel 5.1 is the framework that we're using to build 2.0.
Thanks fellas, I do glance at the dev posts from time to time but must of missed that one.

Smile
But please, don't make MyBB composer only installation like Laravel itself.

Laravel is good framework, but I hate it for not being able just download and copy to any folder. I don't understand why they make things complex for no reason. That is not what we like php for.

I much prefer old way - just download and unpack wherever you want. It is Freedom.
Installation can be done either way, as we will be providing full download packages including all vendor files.
I looked into a couple different frameworks and agree that composer based FW's are a pain in the $$$ to install.
Nothing easier than the ol upload to webhost / extract and install !
(2015-08-28, 08:45 AM)VAPOR Wrote: [ -> ]I looked into a couple different frameworks and agree that composer based FW's are a pain in the $$$ to install.

Interesting, what makes you say that?
Well, just taking Laravel as an example Smile

Go to laravel page - it has a nice little list of requirements; if you dont have those then there is the link to Homestead...

So I go there:

Homestead runs on any Windows, Mac, or Linux system, and includes the Nginx web server, PHP 5.6, MySQL, Postgres, Redis, Memcached, Node, and all of the other goodies you need to develop amazing Laravel applications.

Note: If you are using Windows, you may need to enable hardware virtualization (VT-x). It can usually be enabled via your BIOS.

Boggle and read on.....

Before launching your Homestead environment, you must install VirtualBox or VMWare as well as Vagrant.

Ok,Vagrant....

https://docs.vagrantup.com/v2/installation/index.html

Of course, I could just install composer. Assuming I have :

PHP >= 5.5.9
OpenSSL PHP Extension
PDO PHP Extension
Mbstring PHP Extension
Tokenizer PHP Extension

If not then I have to go get those as well....

Right, so before I can get started learning laravel, that is apparently the list of stuff I have to do first. It can be overwhelming.
That's unfair, you're comparing building a complete LAMP stack for a project against uploading some files to an existing stack.

If you already have a server with a compatible stack, you either:

1. Download all the dependencies manually and make sure they are required in or autoloaded, then FTP that up to your server.
2. Define a composer.json declaring the dependencies, require one autoload file provided by composer, FTP your project with your composer.json to your server and run composer install.
3. Define a composer.json declaring the dependencies, require one autoload file provided by composer, run composer install locally, then FTP the result up to your server.

I'd definitely take options 2 or 3 over 1. Especially when I need to update those dependencies later or add new dependencies.
Pages: 1 2 3