MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [Discussion] Page Management System
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(2015-08-22, 07:59 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]In that case you'd be better off creating a custom template and including the template wherever you want.

Would that also allow for the option to have one template referenced across multiple different skin sets? So, for example, if I had a template to list affiliates under one template set (ex- default theme templates) then I called it on 3 different template sets (ex- light theme, mid tone theme, dark theme), would that work?

Also, would it be possible to allow options for who can use what for editing? So this way if you have the option for mods to edit pages, you could set the system to ignore say PHP from them (so this way an unscrupulous mod couldn't write a bit of PHP code to grant themselves root admin powers or a mod couldn't accidentally drop a table or fill it with something else by accident).

Which goes back into why I ask for pages being able to link into each other... Since if I wanted a bit of PHP to be used in a non-mod's page, I could write the PHP and give it to them as like <% phpstuff %> which would still get called and run in their page even though they can't put PHP themselves.
I'd like this as a core feature. Big Grin
Oh yeah, I'd definitely use this. Would prefer in the core.
Yes as core feature, please. Would be a lot useful
As I said somewhere else, Page Manager was one of the most downloaded plugins in 1.6, which proves that admins need custom page management. I've been using the plugin on each forum I managed. Can't say anything but "yes", definitely.
Thank heavens for this thread a 1,00000 times.

I understand mybb's stance on "bloating" up the forum software (i get it). BUT....
Adding simple features like this only entices new users to pick it up and create with Mybb. The pages feature would be awesome. And my thinking was to tie this into the portal system to make it seamless?

Some ideas:
Pretty urls
Permalinks
Categories
Content ordering and/or Stickies
Different page types: Editor - Html - Php
Blocks for content: Editor - Html - Php - Rss feed - Pages navigation (horizontal and vertical)
Various layout styles (3 columns, 2 columns, 1 column etc...)

Compatible with any theme installed
Page permissions would meld nicely with forum groups
Attachments with download/file info
I'd rather not add many more CMS style features such as categories and stuff, but pretty URLs will be standard, as will compatibility with themes and permissions.
(2015-08-22, 07:23 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't mind it either way, but it'd be a nice thing to have, for sure.

I thought that, too. Smile I don't use it, but I know people who do.

But also I think, part of what martec said is true: I too would prefer, if first there were given possibilities either to add to core what cannot be archieved with a plugin or to add more (hook?)-possibilities for changes that yet cannot be done through plugins.
It should be a core function to continue seeing it as a seperate plugin is pointless. Many forums are using this feature in many different ways for example

Warning pages for adult forums, help documentation for software or product, iframe pages, form fillouts,
acceptance forums pages, & etc. If this were a core feature it would be nice if a custom page could be set as a permission to be a safelink page for all external links in forum.

I say it has to be a core feature.
(2015-08-22, 09:53 AM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]I wanted to bring this discussion to the community after having discussed it as a staff team. We're hoping to start doing this much more frequently for major features in order to gather feedback on what we've decided so far and to promote suggestions for changes and enhancements. Below is the current draft of what we (as a team) would expect the attachment system in 2.0 to do/change.

Many forums tend to have additional pages, which are often managed by either an external Content Management System (CMS) or by manual creation of PHP files to create new pages. For 2.0, we are considering adding a page management system into the core to allow the easy creation of pages integrated with the main forum that contain both static and dynamic content.

However, we are not sure whether this feature should be implemented within the core, or as a separate officially managed plugin. Though we expect the system would be used a bit, we have no real way of judging just how much it would be used by the majority of forum administrators, so we'd like your feedback on whether you'd like to see it as a core feature or not.

Some of the expected functionality of such a system would be as follows:
  • Ability to write a page in pure HTML.
  • Ability to write a page linked to some Controller action, allowing the processing of PHP.
  • Ability to write a page using the Twig templating language.
  • Role based permissions to view pages.
Any feedback (including whether you would use such a system) is extremely welcome here as this feature is still very on in the feature proposal stage.

But why? every thread/original post is a "page", it has a URL, SEO or not, and it has a link on the forum display page and the thread listings

what you need is a menu system within the thread and things like ads and recent posts and recent threads

secondly, the core team best to beef up the portal and make that more useful then setting up a simple "rules" page that you could do in the forums as a thread/post and then linking to it

Personally, i think this is just duplication of what a forum package already has...and a waste of resources....pretty soon, you will need commenting section for your pages which is what the forum has already....

this criticism is the same for the forum announcements.....you already have sticky threads, the admins could just make an announcement straight from the forums (by changing a post type switch to make it global), but then you (and every forum package) just duplicate the same function in the ACP and making more work for themselves?

WHY? LOL
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5