MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Remove text of private message from email notifications
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here's my problem:

MyBB is set up to send email notifications of private messages to members of the forum I run.

Herein lies the trouble: We seem to have several members who, rather than following the directions in the email that they need to go to the forum to read and respond to the private message, simply hit "reply" in their email client and send off a reply.

The reply goes to me, not to the intended recipient.

This is beyond frustrating for me.

My question/suggestion/idea:

Is it possible to remove the private message text from the emailed notification so that the forum member only receives notice that they have a private message with instructions to go to the forum to read it - with none of the private message text included?

If they are forced to go to the forum to read their PMs, this would eliminate the unnecessary and unwanted emails to me.

http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/

Thanks in advance for any/all suggestions.
Navigate to "ROOT/inc/languages/" and find the file "messages.lang.php."

Open this file and go to line 411.

$l['email_emailuser'] = "{1},

{2} from {3} has sent you the following message:
------------------------------------------
{5}

Thank you,
{3} Staff
{4}

Don't want to receive email messages from other members?

If you don't want other members to be able to email you please visit your User Control Panel and enable the option 'Hide your email from other members':
{4}/usercp.php?action=options

------------------------------------------";
You can also use a noryply return email:

AdminCP -> Configuration (Settings) -> Site Details -> Return Email
Sparkks

Thank you, but you did not tell me what to edit/remove.

So I took a chance...and edited the code as follows:

$l['email_newpm'] = "{1},

You have received a new private message on {3} from {2}.

To view, reply to, or forward this message, you must follow this link:

{4}/private.php

DO NOT HIT 'REPLY' IN YOUR EMAIL CLIENT TO ANSWER THIS MESSAGE. This mailbox is not monitored and your reply will not be delivered.

Please note that you will not receive any further notifications of new messages until you visit {3}.

You can disable new message notifications on your account options page:

{4}/usercp.php?action=options

Thank you,
{3} Staff
{4}";

I just tried it, and it works Big Grin  No more copied message texts, only an URL that the recipient must follow to see their PM.

This may help others facing the same issue.

Ad Bakker, thank you also. I had a lot of trouble setting up an email address that would work with MyBB and I only arrived at the email I am currently using after much trial and error. When I have more time (what's that?), I will look further into this.

But for now...many thanks for the help, people...I sincerely appreciate it...marked as solved.
I do apologize about that. Let me explain which each variable means:

{1} - The username of the recipient that is receiving the email.
{2} - The username of the user that sent the private message.
{3} - Name of the forums/site
{4} - URL of the board
{5} - Content of the private message

(This is for anyone who is wondering)

The email you created looks great! I do want to say that the last line ("Please note that you will not receive any further notifications of new messages until you visit {3}.") isn't 100% true unless you did something to make it that way. They will receive an email every time they receive an email.