MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Forum move and Upgrade
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello All,

I was looking for a bit of advice about upgrading and moving. I have read other posts about this subject but they have not really answered my needs:

I have an old version of MyBB v1.02, I now want to upgrade to MyBB v1.2.3 and move the forum across to a new server, my questions are:

a) Should I upgrade the forum first and then move to another server?
b) Install the new version on the new server and then move the database?

If I just move the database as in option b) will the new forum get populated with the current forums and subforums that I have set-up on v1.02 or do I need to recreate all the categories.

Thanks in advance
Breeze
When you move your forum to a new server, it needs to be the same version of MyBB that it was on the old server in order to run correctly.

breeze Wrote:a) Should I upgrade the forum first and then move to another server?

That would work. You can update to 1.2.3 on your current server and then copy the files and the database over to the new server. Remember to edit config.php however to reflect your new database connection details.

Alternatively, you could move your 1.02 installation to the new server with the current database, and then upgrade on the new server. Either way, the upgrade script will allow you to keep your current forums/subforums/threads/posts/users and so on.

breeze Wrote:b) Install the new version on the new server and then move the database?

If you install 1.2.3 on the new server but then copy over a database of a 1.02 installation, then MyBB will not function correctly.
Hi Musicalmidget, thank you for the quick reply, very much appreciated. I will do as you have advised and go for option a)

Thank you very much.

Breeze.