MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: PHP Mail will not send - PHP Could not send the mail
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys, thanks in advance for any assistance that can be given.

I have crawled through these forums quite a bit and have yet to come up with a solution for this issue. None of my users are receiving activation emails/password resets/email notifications.

- I ran the test script which stated "PHP Could not send the mail".

- System mail log is filled with "MyBB was unable to send the email using the PHP mail() function." as well.

- The website is being hosted on my VPS through OVH (Windows Server 2012).

- This problem is from a fresh installation.

- I also had the admin email set to my personal gmail to start and when browsing the forums with this issue I later changed it to [email protected].

- Link to my forum is: altarrs.com/forum

I have little to no experience with mybb or any forum software for that matter so please excuse me if I am missing an obvious step in my forum configuration or in this post.

Thanks! Smile
Please read this:

http://community.mybb.com/thread-176258-...pid1177764

This is for 1,6, but also valid for 1.8
Yes my system mail log is filled with "MyBB was unable to send the email using the PHP mail() function." as well.

Regarding SMTP I was told by OVH that they do not assist with these types of things however they are not blocking PHP emails from being sent either.

Since I am running my own VPS would I need to create my own SMTP credentials? I would prefer to just use PHP.
I have no detailed knowledge about this. I only know that in the past I also had problems with php mails that were not sent, and that I could solve this by switching to SMTP.

What costs a trustworthy host with all services and even een domain? I think you should go the safe way (just an opinion, everybody must know for himself).
Thanks for the assistance given so far Smile. So at this point configuring SMTP could be a possibility I just would need to know how to set that up through a VPS. Do I configure my own SMTP credentials through Windows Server?

Would appreciate anyone who could shed some light on this.

Also... Of course a fix for the PHP mailing issue would still be preferred.

So I configured a SMTP server on my VPS. Everything seems to be working correctly on the server side of things as it allowed me to send a test email.

When I put in my SMTP settings into MyBB and try to send an email I am now getting this error:

- The mail server is not ready, it did not respond with a 220 status message.

Still willing to go back to PHP Toungue
Unfortunately not as the error message I'm getting is "The mail server is not ready, it did not respond with a 220 status message." which is basically saying it "didn't" respond with the 220 reply code which is a good code by definition meaning "The server is ready." - "It's just a welcome message. Just read it and be happy that everything is working (so far)!"

Thank you for the reply though it's much appreciated.
One quick fix you could do is send mail through Mandrill which is free for 12,000 emails per month. It will also give you some nice tracking tools (open percentage etc).

I use and have used Mandrill for a few projects, works wonderfully.
Oh wow! Never heard of that before. I will try to implement that and see if it works. Good for a temporary solution, thank you!
(2015-08-28, 04:33 PM)Altar Wrote: [ -> ]Oh wow! Never heard of that before. I will try to implement that and see if it works. Good for a temporary solution, thank you!

You're welcome. Feel free to reach out if you need any assistance implementing it and report back on how it goes Smile.
Pages: 1 2