MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Negative rep restrictions and user removal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Would it be possible to ban people based on negative rep? On my site we operate a negative rep ban known as 'a prisoner'. These users are restricted to a certain area of the forum until a mod or admin can review the user. The problem with this system is in order to unban the user we need to remove the negative reps they have recieved and it cant be set to -7 for example. The idea is for people to temp ban a troll pending mod / admin interaction but at the moment it can only work once the user gets -1. -1 doesnt mean a troll, could be just a new user that someone doesnt like.

Also, a complete removal and ban system where one click deletes or bans the user and removes their threads and posts. At the moment you can prun and then ban or delete. mods on my site can only ban not delete but I prefer just to erase spammers
(2015-08-27, 04:45 PM)ESForum Wrote: [ -> ]Would it be possible to ban people based on negative rep? On my site we operate a negative rep ban known as 'a prisoner'. These users are restricted to a certain area of the forum until a mod or admin can review the user. The problem with this system is in order to unban the user we need to remove the negative reps they have recieved and it cant be set to -7 for example. The idea is for people to temp ban a troll pending mod / admin interaction but at the moment it can only work once the user gets -1. -1 doesnt mean a troll, could be just a new user that someone doesnt like.

Also, a complete removal and ban system where one click deletes or bans the user and removes their threads and posts. At the moment you can prun and then ban or delete. mods on my site can only ban not delete but I prefer just to erase spammers

how would you prevent a bunch of users from bullying another user by giving that user enough negative rep to force a ban?
(2015-08-27, 04:45 PM)ESForum Wrote: [ -> ]Also, a complete removal and ban system where one click deletes or bans the user and removes their threads and posts. At the moment you can prun and then ban or delete. mods on my site can only ban not delete but I prefer just to erase spammers

If you're using 1.8, this already exists. It can also submit the user's details to Stop Forum Spam. Look for the "Goodbye Spammer" button Big Grin
(2015-08-27, 07:17 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-08-27, 04:45 PM)ESForum Wrote: [ -> ]Would it be possible to ban people based on negative rep? On my site we operate a negative rep ban known as 'a prisoner'. These users are restricted to a certain area of the forum until a mod or admin can review the user. The problem with this system is in order to unban the user we need to remove the negative reps they have recieved and it cant be set to -7 for example. The idea is for people to temp ban a troll pending mod / admin interaction but at the moment it can only work once the user gets -1. -1 doesnt mean a troll, could be just a new user that someone doesnt like.

how would you prevent a bunch of users from bullying another user by giving that user enough negative rep to force a ban?

I wouldnt, if people dislike them that much perhaps they should be banned? ON my site they are restricted where they can post when they get a neg rep ban. I can decide later whats warranted or not. My site attracts a lot of trolls, if I didnt have this system it would be overrun with anti-cop rants

I did have an issue before with this, a senior user with additional rep ability got drunk and used the system to auto ban a load of other users. It lasted only a few hours and resulted in the system requiring multiple different negative reps before the ban and no user having enough rep power to ban another user. That guy was banned needless to say.

(2015-08-27, 07:19 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-08-27, 04:45 PM)ESForum Wrote: [ -> ]Also, a complete removal and ban system where one click deletes or bans the user and removes their threads and posts. At the moment you can prun and then ban or delete. mods on my site can only ban not delete but I prefer just to erase spammers

If you're using 1.8, this already exists. It can also submit the user's details to Stop Forum Spam. Look for the "Goodbye Spammer" button Big Grin

I had to turn it off, it was not letting anyone sign in. Until I read your reply I had forgotten to check for a solution.
(2015-09-16, 11:49 AM)ESForum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-08-27, 07:17 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]

I wouldnt, if people dislike them that much perhaps they should be banned? ON my site they are restricted where they can post when they get a neg rep ban. I can decide later whats warranted or not. My site attracts a lot of trolls, if I didnt have this system it would be overrun with anti-cop rants

I did have an issue before with this, a senior user with additional rep ability got drunk and used the system to auto ban a load of other users. It lasted only a few hours and resulted in the system requiring multiple different negative reps before the ban and no user having enough rep power to ban another user. That guy was banned needless to say.

that sounds like an incredibly bad way to keep people from coming back to your site and turning it into a very trollish place.
(2015-09-16, 07:05 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]that sounds like an incredibly bad way to keep people from coming back to your site and turning it into a very trollish place.
How so? It bans trolls, we dont want trolls.

Its a system thats not utilised much mind you.
(2015-09-17, 11:45 AM)ESForum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-09-16, 07:05 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]that sounds like an incredibly bad way to keep people from coming back to your site and turning it into a very trollish place.
How so? It bans trolls, we dont want trolls.

Its a system thats not utilised much mind you.

Yes, but if a group of people gang up on a singe person, they could get that one person banned.
They could but it wouldnt last and they themselves would end up being banned for abuse of the system assuming it was bullying and the poster didnt just post a completely bollox post that pissed everyone off.

Its not a high on my needs list system anyway, just a nice option to have if need be