MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Antispam by cleantalk
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was using wp for a project and bought CleanTalk....it's great!
Any chance we could see this in 2.0 or at least a plugin?
Quote:bought

Won't be seen in the core seeing as this is a paid functionality. We shouldn't develop core code that depends on a site paying to use said code.

As a plugin though, if you find someone who's willing to do it, there's always a possibility there.

I have raised the idea of some antispam heuristics that could be baked into a later 2.x version if we figure out a way to actually do the data analysis correctly.
Cool thats what I figured thanks josh.
Josh H.
So something like this instead?

I think the idea of having more built in anti-spam options is always a good idea... Even if Cleantalk wouldn't be an option due to being a paid solution.
So, if we go back to the Spamalyzer days... I want to create something like that on steroids for 2.0. I don't know if I'll have the time to actually do it and maintain it, but I would like to see good automated spam mitigation. For example, perhaps it would learn that if there are a bunch of Korean characters in a post on a primarily-English board, then it would flag those for approval queue.

I'm absolutely in support of the suggestion you've made.
I have no idea how it'd learn different languages. A google search perhaps? Or possibly a small built in list of really common words from that language? Maybe even checking if words entered match language based on the installed language pack? With the option to disable spam checks based on this... Just in case a forum had multiple languages (like some based on software development or large gaming sites).

Though regardless I really think MyBB needs another powerful anti-spam solution built right. (RegisterTime is good and stops some bots. Registration questions can help weed out more. But there are always some that can slip by, due to either human bypassing them or common questions or advancing spam technology. So it'd be nice to have another line of defence against them.)

Spamalyzer is a good option since it evaluates posts, which means even if a spammer registers they still might get caught before they can actually drop anything.
I didn't mean learning languages. I just meant understanding when there are a LOT of abnormal characters in a post and acting on that, especially when those posts get purged every time.