MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: hotmail.ru
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Someone registered with this domain name on my forums.. is this a possible hacker?
It's a legit site: http://www.hotmail.ru/
destroyer Wrote:Someone registered with this domain name on my forums.. is this a possible hacker?

Oh my goodness. What is the world coming too ?!.....
Just because a person registers with a trash email or an unfamiliar email doesn't mean he is a hacker.... Good Grief. Besides, if he was a hacker, and you're running MyBB 1.2.3, then you shouldn't fear, until you wake up one morning and find it defaced, which will leave the probable that he IS a cracker/defacer, and there is a hole in 1.2.3 that needs to be fixed.

Therefore, I would entreat crackers to join, so if they could hack it, it would show us a hole, that could be fixed.

Dr Small
I never had such an e-mailadress registered at my website, and it's up for 3 years... Big Grin
.ru is just a Russian domain... As MSN Hotmail is a worldwide service, it's just localized for its Russian audience, just like Google.ru would be localized for Russians. Unfortunately, a lot of shady members tend to register from .ru domains, but the majority would be just as well intended as any one of us.
Well, the good thing is, that no exploits have been found for 1.2.3 so far Smile
Dr Small Wrote:Besides, if he was a hacker, and you're running MyBB 1.2.3, then you shouldn't fear, until you wake up one morning and find it defaced, which will leave the probable that he IS a cracker/defacer, and there is a hole in 1.2.3 that needs to be fixed.
To be honest, I think most of us here wouldn't want to wait till this happened before realising he was a hacker.
Indeed, and this is even more weird: it was a belgian user who registered a ru? Toungue
DrPoodle Wrote:
Dr Small Wrote:Besides, if he was a hacker, and you're running MyBB 1.2.3, then you shouldn't fear, until you wake up one morning and find it defaced, which will leave the probable that he IS a cracker/defacer, and there is a hole in 1.2.3 that needs to be fixed.
To be honest, I think most of us here wouldn't want to wait till this happened before realising he was a hacker.

I personally think it would be worth my wait, if some cracker was to deface my forum, while I am on the newest version, so if he did, we could follow his tracks and see how he did it, fix the exploit and make MyBB more secure Smile
For those of us who are prepared, are willing to take the risk.