MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Not receiving subscription notifications via email or PM on moderated forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, 

I have recently installed a forum, and am testing the various settings. 

This forum is set up so that every posting is moderated.

When posting a thread and selecting "Subscribe and receive email notification of new replies" or "Subscribe and receive PM notification of new replies" neither notification ever arrives.

When registering as a user, the authorization email immediately arrives.

I am able to send an receive PMs, and when a PM is sent, an email notification arrives immediately.

Several tests have been done:
-Selecting "Subscribe and receive email notification of new replies" when registering as a new user 
-Subscribing to an entire forum
-I have also registered users under different email addresses residing on different servers, but the results are the same.

-The moderation settings were removed from registered users:
  -Two new unmoderated threads was posted, one for PM notification and one for email notification
  -45 minutes later two email notifications arrived - one for each thread - saying that a new thread had been started.

If a thread is posted, and the (super) moderator is set up to receive email notifications of posts, why doesn't the moderator receive a notification?

AND - if the post is approved by the moderator, why isn't a notification sent out to subscribers at that time. 

I am uncertain as to how the forum works in regards to receiving notifications from moderated threads.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Some time ago I made a plugin for a fellow member. The main features are:
  • The first n posts of new members are moderated (by setting n to a very large number you can make that all posts of members must be moderated);
  • Moderators get a message (e-mail or PM) when a new message/thread has been posted;
  • Authors of moderated posts/threads get a message (e-mail or PM) when their message/thread has been approved;
  • Subscribers get also a message (according to their subscription settings) when a new meaage/thread has been approved.
I think this comes close to what you want. Below the link to the message to which the plugin is attached:

http://community.mybb.com/thread-173075-...pid1171321
(2015-09-03, 02:27 PM)Ad Bakker Wrote: [ -> ]Some time ago I made a plugin for a fellow member. The main features are:
  • The first n posts of new members are moderated (by setting n to a very large number you can make that all posts of members must be moderated);
  • Moderators get a message (e-mail or PM) when a new message/thread has been posted;
  • Authors of moderated posts/threads get a message (e-mail or PM) when their message/thread has been  approved;
  • Subscribers get also a message (according to their subscription settings) when a new meaage/thread has been approved.
I think this comes close to what you want. Below the link to the message to which the plugin is attached:

http://community.mybb.com/thread-173075-...pid1171321

Ad,

Thank you for sending the link to the plug-in. I installed it, did some testing and it works!
Hello, 

I have been using Ad Bakker's plug-in and it has worked like a charm. 

Last week, I updated the forum to 1.8.7 (from 1.8.5). There is now an issue with this plugin.

After moderating a post, approving, then approving a reply MyBB SQL Error message appears.

If you press the back button and back out of the page, then approve a second time, it works.

This is the error message:

MyBB has experienced an internal SQL error and cannot continue.

SQL error:
1054 - Unknown column 's.subscriptionkey' in 'field list'

Query:
SELECT s.subscriptionkey, s.notification, u.uid, u.username, u.email, u.loginkey, u.salt, u.regdate FROM xxx_threadsubscriptions s LEFT JOIN xxx_users u ON (u.uid=s.uid) WHERE s.tid = 510

After the MyBB updates, in the database, the table 'threadsubscriptions' no longer contains the field 'subscriptionkey'

In the plug-in file, newMemScr.php, the query calls on this field.

I looked around the forum to see if the plug-in features had been incorporated into the update, but was unable to find any information. If this is the case, I would appreciate it if someone pointed me in that direction.

Otherwise, is there an updated version of this plug-in? If not, are there any suggestions on how to keep these features?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
@mendopromo Did you find a solution to this?

I'm having the same problem ?
(2016-04-12, 06:43 PM)sarisisop Wrote: [ -> ]@mendopromo Did you find a solution to this?

I'm having the same problem ?

Hi sarisisop -

I remember you writing about this plug in on a previous thread from last year. I did not find a solution, but for a workaround I deactivated one of the plug-in settings.

See post #34 for a screen shot of the New Member Screening settings:
http://community.mybb.com/thread-173075-...71321.html

At the bottom, where it says "Subscription Messages" I changed the setting to No. I am not sure what this does, other than get rid of the error message because it bypasses the portion of the code looking for the non-existent field. When I ran some tests, subscribers still received notifications.

Hope this helps!
(2016-04-12, 07:35 PM)mendopromo Wrote: [ -> ]Hi sarisisop -

I remember you writing about this plug in on a previous thread from last year. I did not find a solution, but for a workaround I deactivated one of the plug-in settings.

At the bottom, where it says "Subscription Messages" I changed the setting to No. I am not sure what this does, other than get rid of the error message because it bypasses the portion of the code looking for the non-existent field. When I ran some tests, subscribers still received notifications.

Hope this helps!

The "Subscription Messages" sends a message to all members that have subscribed to have email notification of a new post. So once the post is approved the plugin will send the email as if it was a normal reply.

I can confirm it worked fine on all version of 1.8 before upgrading to 1.8.7 so it's something that has been changed in the 1.8.7 files that has changed.

I have sent a PM to Ad to see if he can find time to have a look. So he may answer this thread.

At least it's not a big problem so I will turn off "Subscription Messages" too for now and wait to see if he replies.

Thank you.
(2016-04-12, 07:59 PM)sarisisop Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-04-12, 07:35 PM)mendopromo Wrote: [ -> ]Hi sarisisop -

Hope this helps!

The "Subscription Messages" sends a message to all members that have subscribed to have email notification of a new post. So once the post is approved the plugin will send the email as if it was a normal reply.

I can confirm it worked fine on all version of 1.8 before upgrading to 1.8.7 so it's something that has been changed in the 1.8.7 files that has changed.

I have sent a PM to Ad to see if he can find time to have a look. So he may answer this thread.

At least it's not a big problem so I will turn off "Subscription Messages" too for now and wait to see if he replies.

Thank you.

Thank you for the explanation of Subscription Messages. I did notice that this issue started occurring with the recent update to 1.8.7. Please let me know if you hear anything.