MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Question, Chris Boultons New Templates?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi Chris,

I noted in the birthday greetings that you are planning / working on a new template system.

Care to share with us what you are anticipating doing ?? Smile
Any update on this?
Apparently not.. Sad

It would be nice to know because anyone making templates are going to hung out to dry while the new format is being written. Sad

From what I've read here, there have been a lot of good templates lost with upgrades to the template system time and again. phpBB at least stuck with one template system for many years, and only made minor changes where they saw fit, and / or was required for security reasons. Their latest effort with phpBB v3 ??? is a shambles, I hope Chris is not going to follow that example. Toungue

If the template system gets changed toooooo often here... MyBB will never have the eye-candy it needs to make people want it. Sad
I think the template is allready good. But there are also many little bugs like two time tables and some rows with no content. That should be fixed. I also refere the loginsbox in the welcomebox or somhere else on the header and not on the bottom of the index page.
The latest phpbb template is great because it is a CSS based layout rather than a table based layout like MyBB. I'd really like it is MyBB went table free.
I'd just like it if MyBB didn't use sooooooooo many templates. Wink

the .xml is not that big of a problem, it's the number of "Little" bits of templates that are included in it. Sad

Probably 40 templates would be enough.. MyBB has about 140.. Toungue

It would also be nice to control "User" permissions in the templates themselves. Much like phpBB does. Smile
Is this a VERY sick joke?

Please, someone from MyBB confirm or deny this.
I was working on a new theme system which works around essentially allowing you to edit any stylesheet in either an advanced view (plain CSS) or simple view (similar to what we have now).

It isn't in 1.4 at the moment because I'm concentrating on another important feature at the moment and we haven't finished planning out how we would like to build the front end of the theme editor.
Thanks Chris,

I hated to think that there were going to be major changes, (a total rewrite) as converting something like this to .css / .xml takes a lot of time.

I'd hate to have to do it twice in a short period of time.

http://aus-themes.com/mybb123/themes/portal.php

The pink is only to let me know what is going where.. Toungue

I've also added a Google option to the search function. Wink
Pages: 1 2 3