MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Tablet/e-book or paper?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Simple questions. I do want to go back at reading frequently as used to but would like to know what are your thought about this.

Do you prefer to read any king of (mostly) text documents on electronic devices such as a tablet or e-reader than using a more traditional method as textbooks?

This assuming the price and accessibility for both to be about the same because otherwise there are too many factors.
Unless you get a E ink like ereader, then IMO the difference isn't much really, blacklit screens are still weird to read off of imo. I used my mothers for some texts during exam time and it was priceless.
As Lo. said, E-ink e-readers are brilliant (e.g.: Amazon Kindle). I almost exclusively buy ebooks now.
I use a Kobo H2O myself, it's a great device for reading full length novels and such. Only thing to look out for is that the eInk display is extremely fragile and breakage is usually not covered by warranty. And you can get a ton of free books too (classics and some indies) so if you like those, the initial investment in a reading device pays off at some point.

Although if you have a smartphone or tabled with AMOLED display - you can read fine with them too (not in full sunlight though), if you set the background to black color and text to white (or grey if too bright). AMOLED is not backlit either so it's very nice reading experience if you can get used to white text on black.
Call me old fashion but I like paper.
(2015-09-06, 01:31 AM)Starpaul20 Wrote: [ -> ]Call me old fashion but I like paper.

Sometimes I fall back to paper. This year I've read the Vlad Taltos fantasy series, the first half of the series (6-7 books or so) is not available digitally, so I found them as used paperback for like $1-$2 and even shipping them from US to Germany was not expensive. Great read, except the font was a bit small... paper stinks, after all. Big Grin
I always liked paper, but when ebooks came along, I switched to an iPad pretty quickly, because much less bulky to travel with than 10 novels.

I always loved the iBooks interface (pre-iOS 7) as it felt natural to use.
I've never liked e-ink, I prefer a multi page spread and I've never seen an ereader do that well.
I bought an Amazon Kindle and i think that it worth every penny. I had the same thinking as you with "ebooks" vs traditional books but i think that it's matter of time to get used.
I like them both. My books never decide the battery is low at the exciting bit, but my ereader doesn't weigh as much as ten books when I go on holiday.

It also depends on the book; if I am following a recipe with floury hands then I like a book on my bookstand. For a novel to read on the train - ereader.
Like yourself, I became a non-reader but have since resumed reading since getting a Kindle Paperwhite.  Our county library system has a universe of free downloadable books - I probably won't pay for a book again until after I finish that which is in the library.
Pages: 1 2