MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to I transfer a database?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I need to do some maintenance on my MyBB forums, and you may think I should just shut them down for a temporary amount of time, but the forum is very active, so what I want to do is move to another forum software, and have my topics and posts still existing, like they were on the MyBB forums, and then when I finish the maintenence, I will transfer back to the MyBB forums.

Possible? How? Thanks.

-pojr
Upload another mybb forum.. Install it. Go to phpMyAdmin. Export your current forums database and upload it to the new one.
rcpalace Wrote:Upload another mybb forum.. Install it. Go to phpMyAdmin. Export your current forums database and upload it to the new one.

There are other steps. You should edit ./inc/config.php of the new uploaded files to suit the new imported db info.
yes Zaher you are right.. and make sure you CHMOD the inc/setting.php file to 777
pojr Wrote:I need to do some maintenance on my MyBB forums, and you may think I should just shut them down for a temporary amount of time, but the forum is very active, so what I want to do is move to another forum software, and have my topics and posts still existing, like they were on the MyBB forums, and then when I finish the maintenence, I will transfer back to the MyBB forums.
Possible? How? Thanks.
-pojr

There is no logic and it's not possible in what you are trying to achieve.. Sad

If you simply install a "New" MyBB and move / copy the database, and a "Modified" config.php and the settings.php there will be a LOT of things missing... Like uploaded files, avatars and anything else that is in the default uploads of the existing forum.

Then if you work on the "Old" MyBB and then transfer the second copy of the Db back to your new "Updated MyBB" you will only be back to where you started from. Sad

In other words... You can't transfer databases and expect to retain the modifications you have made.. Smile

Why don't you install a "renamed" copy of the .xml file that is your forum.xml, and work on that, and then transfer the "Modded" templates / theme script to your existing forum theme etc..

Too Easy! Lol! Smile