MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Unbanned users getting a banned message
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Users that weren't banned suddenly get an error message that they've been banned (when they login).
This error disappears once they clear browser cookies and cache. They're then able to continue with their regular forum activities

https://forum.hovatek.com
If you clear your cookies you're automatically logged out - as soon as they login again they'll see the message again. If you want to completly ban an user you'd need to work with their IP address (which can be changed too). There's nothing we can do about that.
(2015-09-10, 11:58 AM)Jones H Wrote: [ -> ]If you clear your cookies you're automatically logged out - as soon as they login again they'll see the message again. If you want to completly ban an user you'd need to work with their IP address (which can be changed too). There's nothing we can do about that.

seems you didnt get my message.
if - for example - you signup at the forum. you could just login one day and get a message saying you've been banned whereas I didn't ban you. If you clear your browser cache and cookies then login again, you wont see the ban message anymore and will be able to use your forum account normally.
what I want to know is why the banned message appears in the first place without me banning you
We have no idea with the amount of information you specified. I only know that MyBB doesn't randomly ban people by default. Also, MyBB saves ban info in the database, so you wouldn't be unbanned by simply deleting cookies. Since it's a live forum (bugs should be reproduced on a clean forum before reporting), it may be a faulty plugin, IIRC there's one which bans users by cookies. It'd be better if you opened a support thread before jumping to the bug reports section - you can do it now with a list of plugins you're using.
(2015-09-10, 09:30 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]We have no idea with the amount of information you specified. I only know that MyBB doesn't randomly ban people by default. Also, MyBB saves ban info in the database, so you wouldn't be unbanned by simply deleting cookies. Since it's a live forum (bugs should be reproduced on a clean forum before reporting), it may be a faulty plugin, IIRC there's one which bans users by cookies. It'd be better if you opened a support thread before jumping to the bug reports section - you can do it now with a list of plugins you're using.

thanks. I began having issue after upgrading to 1.8 so I just assumed it was some bug.
kindly move this thread to the General section where it belongs then.
We're getting this too, dozens of our users are reporting this.
(2015-10-19, 06:14 PM)ashkir Wrote: [ -> ]We're getting this too, dozens of our users are reporting this.

This post doesn't help you or anyone.. I don't understand what so many people nowadays expect from us when they write "this doesn't work" and nothing else. I asked for at least a list of plugins in my 1st post in this thread, noone who has this issue provided them yet. Please do it and run ACP -> Tools & Maintenance -> File Verification so that we can actually continue.
(2015-10-19, 08:19 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-10-19, 06:14 PM)ashkir Wrote: [ -> ]We're getting this too, dozens of our users are reporting this.

This post doesn't help you or anyone.. I don't understand what so many people nowadays expect from us when they write "this doesn't work" and nothing else. I asked for at least a list of plugins in my 1st post in this thread, noone who has this issue provided them yet. Please do it and run ACP -> Tools & Maintenance -> File Verification so that we can actually continue.
I was just about to come back and update this post. We found a way to fix this. We use CloudFlare due to the large amount of traffic, and scrutinize IPs doesn't always seem to work. In functions we edited REMOTE_ADDR to HTTP_CF_CONNECTING_IP and all the ban messages went away.
(2015-10-20, 05:15 PM)ashkir Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-10-19, 08:19 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]

I was just about to come back and update this post. We found a way to fix this. We use CloudFlare due to the large amount of traffic, and scrutinize IPs doesn't always seem to work. In functions we edited REMOTE_ADDR to HTTP_CF_CONNECTING_IP and all the ban messages went away.

Ok, thanks for info. That option should be used with Cloudflare indeed.
Hey,
sorry for pushing this old thread but I have the same issue.
could you please tell me where I have to change REMOTE_ADDR to HTTP_CF_CONNECTING_IP?

//edit nvm was braindead. it's in /inc/funtions.php Big Grin