MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Recently migrated to 1.8.5 and getting spammed again!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I used to face a huge spam issue on myBB forums on 1.6.* then  I installed spamalyser, SFS and spam problem got completely solved.

Last week I migrated to 1.8.5 and removed the spamalyser, SFS plugin since I was told that the functionality of these plugins is built-in.

But since the upgrade, my forums have again become a target for spammers and I am seeing a lot of fake profile registrations. 

Do we really have spamalyser built in 1.8.*, if yes where can I find the settings?

What else do you recommend for spam prevention in myBB 1.8.*?
Stop Spam Forum http://www.stopforumspam.com/ Register, get a key and install the key in Purge Spammer after you set Purge Spammer up, then drop down below Purge Spammer and set up Stop Spam Forum..
As far as I understand SFS API key helps me in submitting the spammer's email to SFS database.

Apart from this does it do anything else?
(2015-09-12, 01:13 AM)aj30 Wrote: [ -> ]Do we really have spamalyser built in 1.8.*, if yes where can I find the settings?

What else do you recommend for spam prevention in myBB 1.8.*?

ACP >> Configuration >> Stop Forum Spam >> Enable the SFS checks from there

ACP >> Configuration >> General Configuration >> CAPTCHA Images for Registration & Posting >> try using reCaptcha

ACP >> Configuration >> Login and Registration Options >> Show Security Question

ACP >> Configuration >> left side menu >> Security Questions >> try a unique/logical question rather than a generic one
Spamalyser is not built in, StopForumSpam is.
might not hurt to sign up for the free services offered by cloudflare or incapsula. I've seen 0 spam since using those.