MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: scrolling navigation bar
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2015-09-18, 11:53 AM)jshort Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-09-17, 09:24 PM)Vashnik Wrote: [ -> ]If that fixed Footer gets implemented, it should be collapsible. The collapse option should, however, be at least 100 px away from the scrollbar. Users who currently use AdGuard will have a problem collapsing the footer with the AdGuard icon covering it if they prefer to have the icon on the bottom-right corner of the browser window. The icon allows you to check the WOT (Web of Trust) rating, make exceptions, and block elements, submit a complaint, etc. So it's something to consider when adding these "fixed" elements.

To me, this is a pretty good reason to not include any fixed elements in the default theme, because it shouldn't be myBB's responsibility to have to account for cases like this. I also disagree that having fixed navigation should be an option that can be turned on/off in the usercp, or having an option that lets you select whether the header or the footer is fixed. That is a decision for the forum owner to make.

Personally, I think the default myBB theme should be as minimalistic as possible and try to appeal to the most users. As LeeFish pointed out, fixed navigation is a love it or hate it thing. I'm personally not a fan, and while I have no intention of using the default theme anyway, I don't think this should be a default theme feature.

Not sure where you got the idea that I said the fixed navigation should be turned on/off in the User CP. Have you not seen a collapsible footer before? Check out the Wikia sites. It has an example of a collapsible footer. At the bottom-right corner is a double down arrow. Left-click it and it collapses the footer, turning it into a double up arrow. Left-click it again and the footer returns. It's not some User CP option.
I know what a collapsible footer is. I also didn't say you were the one who suggested it - but the option to have either a fixed header or footer was suggested by LeeFish earlier in the thread. I quoted your post because it is a good example for why there shouldn't be any fixed elements - it isn't the responsibility of myBB to make their default layout work with a browser add on like you are talking about.
Pages: 1 2