MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: scrolling navigation bar
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm a big fan of the scrolling navigation bar that follows you down the screen once you scroll the page past a certain point - it makes accessing different areas of the site a lot more efficient.
You mean the top header or the sidebar Andrew?
(2015-09-16, 12:02 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]You mean the top header or the sidebar Andrew?

top header.
Yea, I would like to see that as an option on the theme in the usercp maybe. Its a love it/hate it thing.

At the moment, I am becoming quite a fan of fixed FOOTER navigation.
(2015-09-16, 09:52 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]Yea, I would like to see that as an option on the theme in the usercp maybe. Its a love it/hate it thing.

At the moment, I am becoming quite a fan of fixed FOOTER navigation.

can you share an example of fixed footer navigation?
(2015-09-17, 05:17 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]can you share an example of fixed footer navigation?

My test site has both header and footer navbars scrolling with the page... Smile
(2015-09-17, 10:28 AM)mmadhankumar Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-09-17, 05:17 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]can you share an example of fixed footer navigation?

My test site has both header and footer navbars scrolling with the page... Smile

looks pretty good. I think it makes browsing the site more efficient.
If that fixed Footer gets implemented, it should be collapsible. The collapse option should, however, be at least 100 px away from the scrollbar. Users who currently use AdGuard will have a problem collapsing the footer with the AdGuard icon covering it if they prefer to have the icon on the bottom-right corner of the browser window. The icon allows you to check the WOT (Web of Trust) rating, make exceptions, and block elements, submit a complaint, etc. So it's something to consider when adding these "fixed" elements.
(2015-09-17, 09:00 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: [ -> ]looks pretty good.  I think it makes browsing the site more efficient.

yes it comes in handy.. we can place all important links in the navbar.. but better to have either of them fixed not both.. i kept both for the sake of demo/testing only...
(2015-09-17, 09:24 PM)Vashnik Wrote: [ -> ]If that fixed Footer gets implemented, it should be collapsible. The collapse option should, however, be at least 100 px away from the scrollbar. Users who currently use AdGuard will have a problem collapsing the footer with the AdGuard icon covering it if they prefer to have the icon on the bottom-right corner of the browser window. The icon allows you to check the WOT (Web of Trust) rating, make exceptions, and block elements, submit a complaint, etc. So it's something to consider when adding these "fixed" elements.

To me, this is a pretty good reason to not include any fixed elements in the default theme, because it shouldn't be myBB's responsibility to have to account for cases like this. I also disagree that having fixed navigation should be an option that can be turned on/off in the usercp, or having an option that lets you select whether the header or the footer is fixed. That is a decision for the forum owner to make.

Personally, I think the default myBB theme should be as minimalistic as possible and try to appeal to the most users. As LeeFish pointed out, fixed navigation is a love it or hate it thing. I'm personally not a fan, and while I have no intention of using the default theme anyway, I don't think this should be a default theme feature.
Pages: 1 2