MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Need a better Template/theme system :P
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
You need to have a theme system where you can have

1. All inclusive template in ONE exportable set
2. have daughter template sets
3. modular hooks where hook makers can insert and delete....

the third is important, since i am having a hell of a time checking what a plugin has inserted or removed LOL

EDIT: or a way to have PLUGIN makers use a daughter template file, instead of the MAIN one, ie like revisions which can be reverted quickly

would be nice with the last feature ONLY, ie template revisions
Quote:2. have daughter template sets
Yes, inheritable Templates would be splendid. If this is what you meant.
MyBB 2.0 will use the Twig template engine. You have to see if Twig supports inherited / daughter templates.

As for themes, themes are merely a set of stylesheets; multiple themes can use the same template set.
Whatever engine will be used underneath (unless I misunderstand something) I would think that the template system structure will still be a MyBB thing.

So: If there are template sets that are completly identical but for 1 or 2 templates, inheritance would be nice, because it would reduce template maintainance by the admin.
(2015-09-25, 10:35 AM)Amaryllion Wrote: [ -> ]Whatever engine will be used underneath (unless I misunderstand something) I would think that the template system structure will still be a MyBB thing.

So: If there are template sets that are completly identical but for 1 or 2 templates, inheritance would be nice, because it would reduce template maintainance by the admin.

It will be a MyBB thing, but the whole system will be based off the Twig engine. Basically, MyBB is switching how templates currently work in 1.8 to a new system with 2.0, which will also include support for conditional statements, which from what I understand include If/Then/Else and For/While to further extend the ability to customize templates. This will also likely include inherited templates, since MyBB will be the ones developing the inheritance part of the code. The Twig engine will only be handling the interpretation of the templates, basically whatever is between {% and %} is what Twig will help interpret (process) and provide output for.