MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can I still upgrade?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm just returning to mybb after a long time and would like to upgrade my old forum. Unfortunately it still uses version 1.4.

Is it possible to upgrade from 1.4 to 1.8 as I would dearly like to. I can only find help and advice on upgrading from 1.6 to 1.8.
upgrading from MyBB 1.4 to MyBB 1.8.6 is possible. it is not a complex process.
put forum offline, take backup of database (and files if required), disable all the plugins
upload MyBB 1.8.6 files, run upgrade script by visiting forumURL/install/upgrade.php file

more details => MyBB upgrade guidance
Thank you for your quick response.

I hope this isn't a silly question, but do I need to also download a theme? I was using mybb standard before - I thought it would upgrade automatically.

The reason I ask is that the buttons don't show in the posts - just text instead for reply and report, and not even text for edit and delete, plus the posts are not formatted correctly.

www.nbequest.com
^ yes, its better to install & use a good looking compatible theme for your forum.

MyBB 1.8.x compatible themes => http://community.mybb.com/mods.php?actio...ory=themes
theme installation guidance => http://community.mybb.com/thread-163256.html

you can follow below guidance for the default MyBB theme
upgrading guidance Wrote:Visit your Admin Control Panel, then go to Templates & Style > Templates > Find Updated Templates.
This will show you a list of all the templates that have changed during the upgrade.

You can either revert these templates to their default - meaning all the changes you've made to it will be removed - or you can see a Diff Report which will show you exactly what's changed. If you have a custom theme installed, it is probably best that you look at the Diff Report and apply the changes you need.
I'm using the default theme and have reverted all the templates to their original.
If anything this made things worse, as the posts now have a blue background which I assume is not intentional.
www.nbequest.com

I tried a completely fresh installation, just for comparison to see what it should look like, but this is snagged too, this time for 404 errors. Reading the threads here, it seems that it's probably to do with friendly threads and htaccess, but this is a completely fresh installation with which I followed instructions to the letter and haven't changed anything. I tried every possible combination of friendly or not friendly threads and htaccess, but forums return a 404 error no matter what I do.
www.nbequest.com/test/

Reverting to the original problem, I've also tried several suggestions put forward in these threads to try and resolve it, but nothing works. The posts won't display in correct format and there are no buttons visible in the posts. I'm using default theme and I believe I followed the upgrade instructions to the letter.

Now the posts are blue ?

Please someone tell me I don't have to stay with 1.4 forever !
^ for that test forum you have to disable SEF URLs setting
admin panel >> configuration (settings) >> Server and Optimization Options
>> Enable search engine friendly URLs? --> select disabled & save settings
OK that worked. Thank you.

So I now have a fresh installation that looks fine. It seems to be perfectly OK. I can see what I should expect to see there.

So it's just the upgrade that won't work. The posts are blue and there are no buttons showing.

It has to be something to do with the theme, right ???

Even though I'm using the default theme (and have reverted all templates).
Try going to the global.css and opening advanced options and just save it.
Thank you for the suggestion.
I saved the file but unfortunately it made no difference.
http://www.nbequest.com
^ well, you may have to revert the css stylesheets (see this image)
Pages: 1 2