MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Total & complete newbie in need of guidance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have no idea what I'm doing. I have never used MyBB or any other forum software.

I do have a host that I probably will stick with. It has what I need apparently.

Tikitiki asked if I have this: Do you have server space, MySQL.. and file transfer capabilities

I don't have FTP yet. I'm looking at that now. I do have serverspace and apparently my host has MySQL but I need a way to access it they tell me. Then there is something about PHP. It's all so complicated. And I have to go home right now. Guidance welcome.
You need to setup a MySQL database through cPanel. Just go to cPanel look for "MySQL Databases" and read the page. It's all pretty self explanatory.
Tikitiki Wrote:You need to setup a MySQL database through cPanel. Just go to cPanel look for "MySQL Databases" and read the page. It's all pretty self explanatory.

By cPanel do you mean cpanel.com or is that something on this website?
On your website. You really should ask your host about these things. In fact they probably have a load of tutorials on it.
I managed to upload the MyBB software but now I see my host is using MySQL version 3.23.56 and MyBB requires 4.0 or above. So I need a new host, right?

Also, how do I run The Installer?

(I know the above 2 thought are contradictory but I'm learning)
Nevermind the last post. I figured out where to aim my browser and apparently my MySQL is sufficient.
I have successfully installed MyBB. Now that I have done so and I understand what implications are for the URL I chose for my forums, I need to change it. Is it possible to change the folder that I indicated initially for my forums? What do I have to do apart from changing the Board URL in General Settings?
This page may be of some help emaij : just click HERE
I've done all of that (except creating the lock file). Do I have to start over in order to change the URL for the forums that I originally created?

Also, the "MyBB" icon in the top left... is that part of a theme? A skin? How do I change it to reflect my site?
No, just changing the board url and your cookie path will suffice.

Cheers,
Tikitiki
OK that worked.

Now what is the difference between themes and templates?
An example of a theme is the blue "skin" what you're seeing here.

Templates are "code changes" who work together with a theme. Example: you could change a template to center one or another bar in your theme.
Pages: 1 2