MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Avatar installed to a member account
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there a way I can install an avatar stored on my computer, to a members account (I know how to do it using a hotlink to a URL from the Admin CP, thats not what I want). I want to install it "directly" to there account from my computer.
Not possible without a modification, though. Why are you wanting this? It's perfectly possible when you upload it by yourself into the /uploads folder and link it from the admin cp (like you said).
There is currently only one method of doing this.

You can rename an image to avatar_uid.jpg where uid is the user ID of the use to whom you're assigning the avatar. You can then upload the image to your uploads/avatars directory, and place the URL to the image in the avatar field for the user in the ACP.

For example, if the uid of the user was 14, you could rename the image avatar_14.jpg, upload it to uploads/avatars and then set the URL to that users avatar as ./uploads/avatars/avatar_14.jpg.

Just as a quick note, I used the .jpg extension as an example. The image could be another type however, just update the URL accordingly.
Thanks for the help, I may use that method or just have here pick an avatar she likes and put it up on an free image host and I'll use the "URL of avatar" in the my admin CP to load the URL to the avatar.

What brought this all about is I have an "older" shall we say, female member that wants an avatar, but has not a clue how to change the size of the avatar (picture) OR how to use her CP to upload it.
I was just going to go fetch the avatar off the Internet to my computer, re-size it for her using my "FastStone Image Viewer" and upload it using HER control panel. But, the only way to do that would be if she gives me her password to get into her CP. Even as Admins, I guess we don't have access to members passwords? (which I have no problem with that if we don't). I think its just as well I do this the easy way and save my bandwidth (made the mistake of only purchasing 10mg of data storage with my hosting account) and hotlink the avatar to one of those free image hosts.
Of course you can't see people's passwords. :-)