MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Tag System to help similar threads filtering
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Tag System to help similar threads filtering

Need a global tag system acting to group threads into categories

The way Drupal does it is to have two input area boxes, where the tags/categories are selected from the left to the right

The elegant way is to do AJAX 

cheers
There have been multiple attempts to create a tag cloud system for MyBB as plugins, but most have been too resource intensive.

I have a simple system on my own forum, but it's not polished enough to release.

It consists of a single table (thread_tag) with the following columns:
1. thread_id
2. tag
3. approved (-1 = denied, 0 = no action taken, 1 = approved)
4. date_added

The primary key is the combination of thread_id and tag.

The thread view template has a list of approved tags (each tag is a link to a new page which lists threads with the same tag) as well as an interface to propose tags (separated by commas to allow multi-word tags). Admin and Moderators are presented with a list of newly proposed tags they can approve or deny. There is a custom permission as to who can propose tags and who can approve tags.

As previously mentioned, there is a new tag cloud page which will show all approved tags in a font size proportionate with the number of times that tag is used. Each tag is a link to a new page which lists threads with the given tag.

As is, I don't think that AJAX is needed since tags aren't displayed until they are approved.

I have a few ideas for enhancements:

1. Add user_id to thread_tag and display tags proposed by that user (but not yet approved) in a different color. I would need to work out how to handle multiple users proposing the same tag.

2. Expand it to allow Twitter style hashtags (still requiring moderator approval) on individual posts. Hashtags on the initial post (and otherwise empty posts) would count against the thread. This could complicate the queries to determine relative sizes for each tag's font in the tag cloud. It would also need some sort of UI to propose and moderate tags on individual posts (user X wants to tag post by user Y).
way too complicated !!!

Just AJAX in the tags on the post, whether they are approved is for display.

The Tag system is best used for "similar threads"

Tags should not really be linked to users at all, UNLESS you just want to tag the users.

Its used like bidirectional relationship......where you get a list of similarly tagged threads from other forums and link to them in the posts