MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Why do many forums (including MyBB) use this redirect page for many actions?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
One thing I don't understand is the redirect pages. When you search, or do all kind of actions, why is it that the user is taken to a page which itselfs then redirects you after a noticable delay?

I understand the redirect itself can change the URL in the user's browser. But why does it not by default redirect to the given URL, and instead go through an intermediate page?

Is that designed as a way to reduce stress on the server? Does it have another purpose?

ps: For example just after posting this it says "Thank you.. you will now be redirected (...)". Why does it go through that intermediate step?
It's from the old days with low bandwidth connections. 1.8 should have dropped it, IMHO. Idea was a lighter page would tell a user that their post or action has been completed without a super long page load of dynamic content, which would stop people from clicking the submit button over and over.
Interesting, thanks!

I was wondering if this was to address issues like user hitting "Back" and having the browser alert about resubmitting post data.

Would you reckon it is safe then to turn Off "Friendly Redirection Page" in Admin > Configuration > Settings ?