MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Blank page after "Table Population" on install
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm hosted at Netfirms, with mysql 5.x. I follow the installation instructions (included the chmod steps).

Everything goes fine until I get to the:

"Table Population

Now that the basic tables have been created, it's time to insert the default data.

The default data has successfully been inserted into the database. Click Next to insert the default MyBB template and theme sets."

When I click next, it pauses for about 15 seconds and then goes to a blank page in firefox and in IE it brings up "Page cannot be displayed".

Up until this point, there is no error messages or anything.

I've tried clearing the cache as well.
Well, I've done a lot of testing (I even tried version 1.1.6 of mybb), and I would assume that the problem is some incompatibility with the Netfirms settings. During that step, is there anything significant that happens that might give a clue to the problem that I could pass on to Netfirms' customer service?

EDIT: I take that back. I've tried it on my other Netfirms account and it works just fine, but not on the original. I'm using everything exactly the same on both accounts, but one won't work.

So its definitely not myBB but like I said before, do you have any clues I could pass on to customer service?
My guess is MySQL is having some issues with the large amounts of data being imported from the mybb_theme.xml file. Your best bet would ask your host to look into the issue and see what they can come up with. At this point it could be anything ranging from a buggy MySQL installation to other people (assuming your on a shared server) wasting MySQL resources.
Status Update: Called Netfirms on the Phone, and got the usual line of "Well, we have thousands of customers and no one is complaining...". Sure, ya, its a pretty big coincidence that two different accounts are having the same problem.

So I press the issue a little and got him to file a tech incident. This is the response after a few hours:

"We followed the link given by you. We came to determine that it's a scripting error. Please look into the script, and your sql query. Also you might be interested to look into the MyBB help files to find out the solution to the problem you are having.

Regards,

Hanif
Netfirms Inc."

The link he is speaking of is http://uselesshacks.com/forum/ which gives "MySQL error: 2013". I have not modified any of your files.

I responded to them by pointing them to this post: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showpost....stcount=12

Do you have any ammunition that I could use in order to get them to fix the problem?

PHPBB works fine, but there are certain reasons why I want to use MyBB.
It's not a scripting error.

Can you ask NetFirms what their wait_timeout value is for MySQL and the chances of them increasing it?
That's pretty much what I was implying in what I sent them, so hopefully they will tell me.

If not, I will explicitly ask them the next time around.
It looks like their not willing to work with me:

Netfirms: "At the moment, we do not support myBB. It has been added to our list of client requested features and may be included in a future service upgrade. Thank-you for your suggestion.

Regards,

Michael
Netfirms Inc."

Me:"I'm not asking you to support myBB, I can go to their website for support. There is nothing different about myBB then any other MySQL software.

Can you please tell me what the "wait_timeout" value is for my MySQL setup?

Thank you"

Netfirms:"At this time, myBB does not function on our servers and is why it is not supported. The features to support a myBB installation may be included in a future service upgrade.

Regards,

Michael
Netfirms Inc."

Poo. Dead end?
I've added in a query that might be able to override their wait_timeout value. Replace the attached index.php with the one in the install directory and try again
Thanks for the help.

I had to move "$db->query("SET @@local.wait_timeout=288000");" down a few lines, because it was giving me a "Fatal error: Call to a member function query() on a non-object in...." error.

But after that, it let me install just fine.

Unfortunately, I still get the 2013 lost connection errors every time I try to access the site.

I take it that the "$db->query("SET @@local.wait_timeout=288000");" is only a temporary change?
My bad, use this one:
Pages: 1 2