MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Info Strips at top of MyBB Community Forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is probably such a newbie question that someone's gonna flame me so I'd like to apologise for being a complete loser before I even ask the question. Smile

On this forum, at the top, there are some coloured boxes with information (Latest News, Have you seen the MyBB Ideas site and Are you on the MyBB mailing list).

Could someone please let me know how that was done? I'm guessing that maybe it was shoutbox but I'm not sure and don't want to start downloading and fiddling with shoutbox if it was something else.

Again, sorry for the newbie question.
Hi, and welcome to MyBB! Smile

Those news boxes were simply created with HTML, and they must be manually changed whenever news is changed.

You can add your own boxes like those by editing your forum's "header" template.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

Added: If you want to use something more easily manageable or if you don't know too much HTML, I would recommend this plugin:
http://mods.mybboard.net/view.php?did=379
Thank you so much for the quick reply. However, as a newbie, would it be a bit cheeky of me to ask for a bit more information about how to do that? (blush).

In the meantime (since I'm sure you're busy), I'll see if I can figure it out myself. It's just nice to know there's someone out there willing to hold my hand (er, so to speak) ... hehe.

Thanks again.
We are happy to help out! Smile

I would recommend that you download this modification and follow the instructions in the included readme file:
http://mods.mybboard.net/download.php?did=379

Please don't hesitate to ask if you need more help!
Wow - you must have a Tardis or something. Talk about quick responses! :-)

I quite like your first idea (using HTML) and I'm about to go and delve right in. Any suggestions, warnings or tips would be appreciated. I'll also read the instructions on the link you gave me.

Thanks again!
saltiredj Wrote:Wow - you must have a Tardis or something. Talk about quick responses! :-)

I quite like your first idea (using HTML) and I'm about to go and delve right in. Any suggestions, warnings or tips would be appreciated. I'll also read the instructions on the link you gave me.

Thanks again!
Like I said earlier, the "header" template is probably what you need to edit.

Here is the HTML used here at the MyBBoard forum for the three boxes (which should be inserted in the "header" template if you want it to show up on every page, or the "index" template if you just want it to show up on the index):
<p class="alert"><strong>Latest News:</strong> <a href="http://community.mybboard.net/showthread.php?tid=18002">MyBB 1.2.4 Released</a> - 4/04/2007</p>
<p class="notice2"><strong>Have you seen the <a href="http://ideas.mybboard.net/">MyBB Ideas</a> site?</strong> - Submit your ideas for future versions of MyBB!</p>

<p class="notice"><strong>Are you on the <a href="http://www.mybboard.com/mailinglist.php">MyBB mailing list?</a></strong> - Sign up for notification of new MyBB releases and updates.</p>

In order to use the "notice,notice2 and alert" classes as listed in the above code, you must add the following code into the "headerinclude" template as well:
<style type="text/css">
.alert {
	background: #FFF6BF;
	border-top: 2px solid #FFD324;
	border-bottom: 2px solid #FFD324;
	text-align: center;
	margin: 10px auto;
	padding: 5px 20px;
}

.notice {
	background: #ADCBE7;
	border-top: 2px solid #0F5C8E;
	border-bottom: 2px solid #0F5C8E;
}

.notice2 {
	background: #D6ECA6;
	border-top: 2px solid #8DC93E;
	border-bottom: 2px solid #8DC93E;
}
</style>

Good luck! Smile
You are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you. I'll let you know how I get on. :-)
Okay, I think I've figured out what to do except for one small eensy-weensy detail ... I'm not sure exactly where in the index template I should post the HTML. I'm guessing it's between </head> and <body> but I think I'd like to make sure before I click the 'okay' button. Wink
saltiredj Wrote:You are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you. I'll let you know how I get on. :-)
Okay, I think I've figured out what to do except for one small eensy-weensy detail ... I'm not sure exactly where in the index template I should post the HTML. I'm guessing it's between </head> and <body> but I think I'd like to make sure before I click the 'okay' button. Wink
Hello Again,
I would recommend putting the HTML code after the "{$header}" part of the "index" template. It can always be changed or moved around later.

Thank you for your kind words, and I wish you luck! Smile
Got it working, thanks!

I found it useful to look at the forum page and view the source to find out exactly where to place the code and once I had my head around that, I was able (along with your excellent support) to get it to work.

Again, my deepest gratitude and thanks.

(Grovel, grovel, on bended knee, humble submission, etc.)

:-)