MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Just moved hosts, getting this error.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Are you sure that the DNS propagation finished and your browser isn't jumping between servers? Ideally you want to remove all directories from the old server. In fact, for future reference, this is how you should proceed with a transfer:

1. Set the TTL of your DNS record to something very low (1000), this when when you change the DNS server the changes propagate faster
  2. Wait 48 hours so that your new TTL is live
  3. Transfer the files and the database to the new server
  4. Change your DNS settings
  5. Remove all files from the old server and place and create the following files so that everyone still on the old site will get the message until their DNS cache is refreshed.
  6. Set your domain's TTL to whatever you had previously (probably 64400)
index.html
We are moving - please check back in an hour.

.htaccess
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule * index.html

If you still have access to the old server (probably via the old IP or whm) make sure to do step 5.
(2015-10-05, 11:02 AM)Moises Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure if it's really finished. I just moved like 6 hours ago. And now I can view the site. I did do /flushdns. But I believe it's working now. I check the whatsmydns and it reflects my new nameservers.

DNS is messy and this happens frequently if the old website is still active and has a working database.
(2015-10-05, 11:27 AM)Moises Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-10-05, 11:23 AM)SentoWeb Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-10-05, 11:02 AM)Moises Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure if it's really finished. I just moved like 6 hours ago. And now I can view the site. I did do /flushdns. But I believe it's working now. I check the whatsmydns and it reflects my new nameservers.

DNS is messy and this happens frequently if the old website is still active and has a working database.

I just transferred hosts, domain is still the same. Should I empty out my old host files?

Yes, you can also create the .htaccess and index.html files described above to display a message to everyone with outdated cache.