MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Check if someone posted inbetween after sending answer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2015-11-13, 06:09 AM)TheGarfield Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not fond of the idea of blocking a user's input until they see what others have typed in the meantime.
On some topics (say: What do you think of the user above you?), you might need to check who posted last, before you submit something.
On others, (say: How was your day today?), being forced to read what others have written makes no sense, especially if they include videos / gifs etc and you're on mobile.

I like how neat IP Boards work, they just notify you (at the bottom of the page) that [X users have made a reply [Show]]. When clicking on Show, new replies get added to your topic using AJAX.

This could be achieved by loading a hidden input, containing the timestamp of the time the page has been generated, while typing a reply, a REST service could be requested every 5/10 seconds to return the number of new posts made to the topic TID=50 since TIMESTAMP=X.

SELECT count(pid) FROM post WHERE tid={$tid} AND timestamp > {$timestamp} AND (probably only the posts the user C has the right to see).

I think XenForo also does that, or at least the two boards I frequent that use XenForo have that ability. A nice little message above the quick reply section shows up when someone posts after you have fully loaded the page in the browser. What's even better is that it will load the posts onto that same page, even if it goes beyond the "amount of posts per page" setting, but only for that page load. If you reload the page, the posts that do not belong on that page are displayed on the next page as normal.

EDIT: I'd like to clarify that the message is a link prompting you if you want to see those new posts. It doesn't automatically load the posts.
would rather just link into a global Alerts system rather being so resource intensive

http://community.mybb.com/thread-186084.html

So would rather that they spend time on

1. similar threads
2. FULL Alerts system

Forums posts aint supposed to be shoutbox replies
(2015-11-13, 07:02 AM)Amaryllion Wrote: [ -> ]As I wrote, I wanted this feature with a possibility to turn it off - so that very busy boards or boards that do not like the feature could turn it off...

There is a pugin right now that works like you described. I dislike this AJAX plugin for constantly reloading page content. It reloads even when you do not write but are just reading, because there is always the quick answer where you could have been typing. I do not need a forum reloading data constantly.
Also by doing so users seem to have been online (Last Online Date) just with having the board open on another tab and never looking or visiting again. [And when I want to reload with 'show' it never shows me anything...]

Nobody dislikes Ajax anymore. And it clearly should just notify you as you're typing. And it won't update your online status as that behavior is controllable.
Anyway, that's just my point of view Smile

(2015-11-13, 07:43 AM)Vashnik Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-11-13, 06:09 AM)TheGarfield Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not fond of the idea of blocking a user's input until they see what others have typed in the meantime.
On some topics (say: What do you think of the user above you?), you might need to check who posted last, before you submit something.
On others, (say: How was your day today?), being forced to read what others have written makes no sense, especially if they include videos / gifs etc and you're on mobile.

I like how neat IP Boards work, they just notify you (at the bottom of the page) that [X users have made a reply [Show]]. When clicking on Show, new replies get added to your topic using AJAX.

This could be achieved by loading a hidden input, containing the timestamp of the time the page has been generated, while typing a reply, a REST service could be requested every 5/10 seconds to return the number of new posts made to the topic TID=50 since TIMESTAMP=X.

SELECT count(pid) FROM post WHERE tid={$tid} AND timestamp > {$timestamp} AND (probably only the posts the user C has the right to see).

I think XenForo also does that, or at least the two boards I frequent that use XenForo have that ability. A nice little message above the quick reply section shows up when someone posts after you have fully loaded the page in the browser. What's even better is that it will load the posts onto that same page, even if it goes beyond the "amount of posts per page" setting, but only for that page load. If you reload the page, the posts that do not belong on that page are displayed on the next page as normal.

Exactly! So when you're replying to a topic, you don't wonder if others have made a reply before you, you know it right away.
Pages: 1 2