MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Check if someone posted inbetween after sending answer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Feature Suggestion/Enhancement: Check if someone posted after sending answer

phpbb has a feature that I think should be simple to implement and would be a great benefit for everyone: Check if there is a new post of another user after the user sended his post.

If user A and user C posted inbetween, it does not simply accept the post of user B. Instead it shows the preview - and above the new posts of user A and user C. So the user can decide on the spot if he simply wants to send his post anyway or if he wants to change his post and send it then.

Expected functionality

After sending your answer it could look like this:
[attachment=35295]

Any additional notes
There exists a plugin that checks these things while you are typing and you can load the new posts if you want (this feature does not work in my board anyway), but I think it is not necessary to check with ajax every minute if someone posted. It also changes the last activity of the user who was not really active. A simple check before sending the answer ist enough and effective.

I would like to see this feature being added as core feature (and the possibility to switch it off). Smile
Would be fairly trivial to implement I'd think, if there's enough demand I don't see why not.
I would absolutely love to see a feature like this as a core behaviour.
There is a huge demand - this feature is quite useful - it could avoid offtopics and multiple replies
Sounds like a good feature.
I like the idea of this feature.
It's a must have.
on a busy forum or thread, you might not get a chance to reply LOL

That may or may not be a blessing
I'm not fond of the idea of blocking a user's input until they see what others have typed in the meantime.
On some topics (say: What do you think of the user above you?), you might need to check who posted last, before you submit something.
On others, (say: How was your day today?), being forced to read what others have written makes no sense, especially if they include videos / gifs etc and you're on mobile.

I like how neat IP Boards work, they just notify you (at the bottom of the page) that [X users have made a reply [Show]]. When clicking on Show, new replies get added to your topic using AJAX.

This could be achieved by loading a hidden input, containing the timestamp of the time the page has been generated, while typing a reply, a REST service could be requested every 5/10 seconds to return the number of new posts made to the topic TID=50 since TIMESTAMP=X.

SELECT count(pid) FROM post WHERE tid={$tid} AND timestamp > {$timestamp} AND (probably only the posts the user C has the right to see).
As I wrote, I wanted this feature with a possibility to turn it off - so that very busy boards or boards that do not like the feature could turn it off...

There is a pugin right now that works like you described. I dislike this AJAX plugin for constantly reloading page content. It reloads even when you do not write but are just reading, because there is always the quick answer where you could have been typing. I do not need a forum reloading data constantly.
Also by doing so users seem to have been online (Last Online Date) just with having the board open on another tab and never looking or visiting again. [And when I want to reload with 'show' it never shows me anything...]
Pages: 1 2