MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Some questions about SMF to MyBB merge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi again. Sorry if these are dumb questions, I just don't have that much experience with forums and I don't want to mess stuff up and I couldn't find the answers after searching. So here they are:

1.  Do I install MyBB into the same directory as my current forum or do I need to put the old forums in a new directory? My current forums are in mydomain.com/forums and I'd like to have my new MyBB forums in that directory.

2.  Before I do the merge, should I uninstall any SMF mods that I've got running or themes just to help things run smoother? How does that stuff get moved over to the MyBB forums?

3.  Does it matter if my SMF forum is in maintenance mode when I do the merge?

Thanks so much in advance for your help!  MyBB looks pretty awesome and I can't wait to start using it!
1. Yes, I would recommend placing MyBB in a new sub-directory beforing continuing with the merger. I don't know a single thing about SMF so it may have similar filenames. In the case that it does, it will cause problems. When you install MyBB in the temporary sub, you will most likely want to move it back to the original directory, therefore you need to change the site's URL in AdminCP > Configuration > Settings > Site Details

2. Any mods/plugins you have on SMF will not transfer over to MyBB. You will need to find plugins for MyBB that are similar to your currently installed plugins/mods on SMF. You can find MyBB's plugins in the "Extend" section at the top of this page.

3. I don't think it will matter if your SMF forum is in maintenance mode or not. That shouldn't cause any issues. 

Honestly, in my opinion, I would personally wait until MyBB 2.0 is released (if your forum is a large forum) just so you don't have to keep updating. The only issue with waiting is that the majority of plugins for MyBB 1.8 will not work with MyBB 2.0 for a while, so using 1.8 (and it's plugins) may be best.. depending on what you want to do.

Good luck!
Thanks so much for your reply, Sparkks!

Would it be better to install MyBB in a temporary sub-directory, then change it later, or move the SMF forum to a different one? The only reason I ask is that from what I've been reading, it sounds like the merge system works more with the database than the files. So if that's the case, then wouldn't it be easier to do it that way, rather than having to change the URL's later? I could be wrong of course, just wanted to make sure.

I'll take a look at the plugins that are available for MyBB and the features that come standard. I may not end up needing that many plugins. That will help me decide if I want to wait until 2.0 comes out or not.

Thanks again for your help!
In my opinion.. If you don't have a TON of traffic on your SMF forum, I would move the SMF forum to a temporary sub-directory and install the MyBB forum in the location you wish to keep it. It will save a lot of headache trying to change it to the permanent directory in the future.

If you're not going to need a lot of plugins, 1.8 will be perfect for you because you can upgrade to 2.0 with ease once it's released.

You're very welcome! Smile
That's what I'll do then. My SMF forums don't get much traffic at all other than spammers.
Well, good luck! If you need any help, please come back and give us a shout!

Have a good one!
Just wanted to post an update that the install and merge went smoothly yay! Smile

The only annoying thing was that it took a bunch of banned members (spammers) from the SMF forum and added them as regular members so I had to open up my old forums and compare member lists to delete all those. It didn't take too long to do that though.
(2015-10-09, 06:08 AM)MzStevens Wrote: [ -> ]Just wanted to post an update that the install and merge went smoothly yay! Smile

The only annoying thing was that it took a bunch of banned members (spammers) from the SMF forum and added them as regular members so I had to open up my old forums and compare member lists to delete all those. It didn't take too long to do that though.

That's awesome! I'm glad it went smoothly!

Congrats and welcome to the MyBB family! Smile