MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Digest notifications... Developers views?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
No I am not just reproducing the same idea mentioned here:

http://ideas.mybboard.net/idea/digest-notifications

Scenario:
* Lots of big topics
* Lots of replies
* Lots of subscribers
* Lots of emails going out
* Lots of load
* Lots of resources usage
* Lots of complaints
and dead server... err.. literally!

Short-term solution?
Introduce an option to "automatically subscribe in threads started by the user" along-with of the default "automatically subscribe to threads where the user posted in". Or maybe I will create a plugin/mod to automatically disable the "subscribe" feature (unless selected specifically), even if it's enabled globally, if the user is a regular user with more than 30 posts. I might make a plugin for this specific need, in the weekend.
But anyway, that's just for me and it's temporary, I would rather like to send out digest emails saying "X topic you're subscribed to has Y new posts".

So that's what I am stuck to. Coming from IPB 1.3, since I have installed MyBB, the resource usage has went more than 400% mainly due to mails being sent out of exim.

The culprit? New reply notifications! I can just go and disable the feature for now, but I would like a better solution.

I can set default to "no notifications" but then I may be loosing on few members which could come back, and even after setting the default to no notifications, many users still do subscribe.

Thoughts? The developers didn't comment on that idea, so I would like to hear their opinions too.
My view? Well... It's not getting in 1.4, we already have enough on our plate, and we need to be pushing this release along as fast as we can.

And if you're having a problem with emails than it must be your severs fault. MyBB has a mail queue, so there's no way we're causing 400% of resources to be used. Only 20 emails are sent per go....
Ok, well, previously the email notifications for replies were disabled altogether so that's the reason the server load went up. I guess that's 20 emails / 5 mins? So almost like 240 emails / hour. That's still something because the server I am running it on isn't high-end.

I am not actually talking about server resource usage, but about the resources being wasted. Why send it so many times at all, when the same can be sent in a digest? Most of the subscribers don't even need those emails, but they are posting either via fast reply and are too lazy (or uninformed) to disable it from their control panel, and those who do need it, get annoyed by so many emails instead of 1 single email daily telling them how many replies that topic has got.